Matt, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc (Hons) Software Engineering, 8+ years experience as IT Support

I no longer have sound on my do I get it back

Customer Question

I no longer have sound on my do I get it back?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.

Sorry to hear that.

Do you have Windows sound missing as well or just the AOL sound? Also, what is the make/model of your computer?

Customer: replied 6 years ago. sound,no music on media player etc. since i took off the AOL speaks program yesterday...I don't EVER use AOL...I use Earthlink.
My Pc is an old Gateway....I honestly don't know the model #.....Is has added ram over the years...and works great usually.....but I had a fan problem this week and thought it was a wasted space I took out what i thought were some unneeded programs.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the clarification.

In the circumstances, I would advise you to go to Start>Run>type devmgmt.msc >click OK. In the Device Manager window, check if there is a yellow exclamation mark against any device. Let me know the device, if any.

Also try to find the serial number of your computer if possible. Please visit the link below for guidance on how to find it:

or, use the automatic serial finder in the link below:

Keep me posted.

Edited by Matt on 1/20/2010 at 9:39 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Matt...did what you suggested....but the response was "can not find the file devmgmt.msc"...I hope you have a better idea.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.

Ok, Click Start, then select Settings -> Control Panel. Select System applet, then Device Manager tab. See if you can check now for the yellow exclamation mark.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
your idea did not even work.....what's up with that?
Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.

Ok, I'll open up your question for the other experts to offer their input.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
only plus signs under DEVISE MANAGEMENT yellow exclamation marks on any of the how did that even help anything???