J. Mar
J. Mar, IT Specialist
Experience:  Over 10 yrs of experience in Programming, Networking, Project Management, Architecture, and DBA
21350990

I am unable to access the itunes Store. My PC has Windows

I am unable to access the itunes Store. My PC has Windows XP with service pack 2. Previously I had service pack 3, and thought that that might be the problem and have gone as far as reinstalling the operating system (now w/ SP2) to try to make my freaking itunes work. Well, it didn't work. So then I tried installing an earlier version of itunes (ver 8.2.0) thinking the newer version was the problem. But now I am simply unable to initiate itunes, because it can't read the Library file (apparently a remnant of the previously installed itunes ver 9.0.2.25). I'm kind of at my wit's end about this.

I've noticed a lot of other people seem to have similar problems with connecting to the itunes Store, however usually they say that they get some specific error message. Not me. I get no error. The progress bar just gets about halfway, then dogs out. No message, no nothin. Please help!!!

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

First, download all the Windows updates again. If you are able to access the web, but you are unable to access the iTunes Store, see the troubleshooting steps below (My apologies in advance of some of these were already attempted).

Products Affected

iTunes Store, iTunes, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Microsoft Windows XP SP2 and Vista

Remove pop-up blockers

Some pop-up or ad-blocking programs may interfere with the ability of iTunes to connect to the iTunes Store. Removing them in many cases will resolve the issue.

Flush DNS Setting in Windows

In some cases, the DNS information you computer uses to connect to the Internet needs to be reset. Follow these instructions to flush your Windows DNS information:

Windows XP

1. On the Start menu, click Run.
  2. In the Open field type cmd and click OK.
  3. In the resulting window, type ipconfig /flushdns and press Return on the keyboard.
  4. You should see a message that the DNS Resolver Cache has been successfully flushed.
  • Your copy of the iTunes application may be out of date.

If iTunes is out of date, it will not be able to connect to the iTunes Store. You can download the latest version of iTunes from our website:
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

• You upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Windows XP Service Pack 2, by default, enables the Windows Firewall. As with a third-party firewall, you will need to configure Windows Firewall to allow iTunes to access the iTunes Store. To do so:

1. From the Start menu, choose Control Panel.
    2. If the Control Panel is in Classic View, skip to step 3, otherwise open Security Center.
    3. Open Windows Firewall.
    4. Click the Exceptions tab.
    5. Select the iTunes checkbox to enable it as shown here:

6. Click OK.

If you have further questions about configuring the Windows Firewall, contact Microsoft's Service Pack 2 hotline at (888) SP2-HELP. Read this article for compatibility information.

•  

Windows XP: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

1. Select the hosts file. Then click the Ed it menu, and choose C opy.
    2. Then, click the Edit menu again, and choose Paste. There should now be a duplicate of the hosts file named "Copy of hosts".
    3. Drag the original hosts file to your desktop.
    4. Right-click the "Copy of hosts" file and choose Open. You may be prompted to choose the program you want to use to open this file. Double-click Notepad.
    5. When Notepad opens, click the Edit menu and choose Select All. Then click the Edit menu, and choose Delete.
    6. Click the File menu, and choose Save. Close Notepad.
    7. Right-click the "Copy of hosts" file, and choose Rename. Type "hosts" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    8. Restart your computer and try connecting to the iTunes Store.
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry, none of these works. As I said I had tried that "host" file replacement. I did the FlushDNS thing as outlined, but figured it wouldn't anything, as the OS install is fresh (this morning!). As expected, it did nothing. As far as the firewall exceptions, itunes is already checked by default, so that wasn't it. Could the problem lie in a setting in my antivirus software---iolo?

Johnny,

Make sure both iTunes.exe and iTunesHelper.exe are not blocking access. To make sure that your firewall is not blocking iTunes:

1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel
    2. Double-click Internet Connections
    3. Right-click the network interface you use for Internet access and from the shortcut menu choose Properties.
    4. In the Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
    5. In the Windows Firewall section, click the Settings button.
    6. In the Windows Firewall window, make sure that the "Don't allow exceptions" option is not selected, and then click the Exceptions tab.
    7. Make sure that iTunes is checked under "Programs and Services" and click OK. If iTunes isn't listed under Programs and Services, click Add Program. If iTunes isn't listed in the Programs list, click Browse, navigate to the iTunes program (often at C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes), select it and click Open. Note that iTunes may also appear as "iTunes.exe." and "iTunesHelper.exe"
    8. Click OK in the "Add a Program" window.
    9. Click OK in the "Windows Firewall" windows.
    10. Click OK in the Properties window.

I don't think this would be related to Anti-Virus, it seems more related to permission errors, such as provided by a firewall.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I think I'm not looking at quite the same screen as you. Steps 3-6 don't jive for me. See screenshots...

2. Double-click Internet Connections

graphic

graphic

graphic

HiCustomer

Sorry about that. I meant to access the Windows Firewall

To adjust Windows Firewall settings

1.

Click Start and then click Control Panel.

2.

In the control panel, click Windows Security Center.

3.

Click Windows Firewall.

4.

In the General Tab make your selection.

Windows Firewall General tab

Go to Exceptions Tab

• In the Windows Firewall window, make sure that the "Don't allow exceptions" option is not selected, and then click the Exceptions tab.
  • Make sure that iTunes is checked under "Programs and Services" and click OK. If iTunes isn't listed under Programs and Services, click Add Program. If iTunes isn't listed in the Programs list, click Browse, navigate to the iTunes program (often at C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes), select it and click Open. Note that iTunes may also appear as "iTunes.exe." and "iTunesHelper.exe"
  • Click OK in the "Add a Program" window.
  • Click OK in the "Windows Firewall" windows.
  • Click OK in the Properties window.
  • HiCustomer

To adjust Windows Firewall settings

1.

2.

In the control panel, click Windows Security Center, else go to step 3.

3.

Click Windows Firewall.

4.

In the General Tab make your selection.

Windows Firewall General tab

Go to Exceptions Tab

• Click OK in the Properties window.

• Edited by J. Mar on 1/20/2010 at 8:10 PM EST
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It doesn't work. Itunes was already in the list and was already checked. When I went to Add (just for the hell of it) and browsed to Itunes in the Program Files directory, it told me that I couldn't add it because it was already in the list.

Could the problem be from some kind of interference from drivers? I'm working on a T43 IBM Thinkpad and after installing the OS this morning I loaded the driver files from a disc (which I had copied off of Lenovo's website a while back, and are supposed to be compatible w/ my machine). Could one of these be the problem?

graphic

Or is it maybe the iolo antivirus software? Besides that I can't think of what other programs might be interfering with it---I have very few loaded so far. No ad software or special pop-up blocker software or anything like that...

Johnny,

I am not sure what it could be at this point. I am going to opt out and allow some other experts an opportunity to share their knowledge.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    ok thanks
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    Any idea what more I could do?

HiCustomer

Try calling Apple Support. They probably are questioned about this often.

You can e-mail them from here