R.J. Poirier
R.J. Poirier, Information Systems Specialist
Experience:  A+ , MCTS, MCITP certified with 8 + years hands on experience.
6344629

my computer pointer is stuck in the middle of the monitor and

Customer Question

my computer pointer is stuck in the middle of the monitor and won't move-tried system restore-re-start computer-connect & disconnect mouse-maybe is a virus. what can i do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  R.J. Poirier replied 4 years ago.

THank you for posting your question.

What is the make and model of your computer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
initially was a dell comp but a couple of years ago had some trouble and a comp outfit fixed it by removing the hard drive and installing it in a case that reads C&E RAPTOR ELITE SERIES--its been working fine until now
Do you remember what the model was of the Dell?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, i don;t remember the model only that i bought it by the end of 2004

can you press and hold down the windows key and press the pause break button. The system window should open up can you tab to the hardware tab and then tab to the device manager. Do you see anything listed with a red mark ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the keyboard they send back don;t have a windows key--in its place there is a key named start--by hitting that key and the pause break key nothing happens
Ok can you press navigate to the start menu, then control panel, then open the system icon. Then click on the hardware tab and then device manager.and look for anything with a yellow or red mark.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how can i do that? i can not get to the start menu. i'm writing from my laptop since my desktop won't move the cursor?
You will need to you use tab key to navigate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i switched keyboards, accessed the device manager,but i don;t see any red or yellow marks in any of the items
Can you boot into safe mode and see if your mouse works there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i could not get it to boot in safe mode-after hitting f11 key it does not give me the option of safe mode boot

You will need to start tapping the F8 key in order to get into safe mode. As soon as you restart the machine start tapping f8 even before you see anything on the screen.