Adam Wright
Adam Wright, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCP, MCSA, iNet+, Net+, A+
29074179

How do I switch on my hardware radio on my Soni Vaio

Customer Question

How do I switch on my hardware radio on my Soni Vaio?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Adam Wright replied 4 years ago.
Which model Vaio do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
BZ11 - Series
You will need to go into the software for the wireless controller (probably found in Programs menu) and there is an option in there to turn the radio on and off. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have gone into the programs menu. It states Intel PROSet Wireless. When I move across the only option is WiFi Connection Utility. That tells me the hardware radio is switched off. It says to enable wireless, turn on the hardware radio switch. I don't know where the switch is!!
If it is a hardware switch (an actual switch it will most likely be located on one of the sides (usually the right) of the laptop). If it is a software switch (more likely) it will actually be part of the program that controls the adapter. Let me know if you are able to locate an external switch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I cannot locate an external switch. I have a wireless switch which is on - doesn't say anything about radio.

I have found a page which is called Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Help.

That seems to suggest I just need to click on the taskbar icon (if the icon is white and static) and click WiFi On. However, when I do that nothing happens.

That is what you would need to do. The external wireless switch you found is the radio switch. It is possible with these switches that it has become dirty or dusty inside. Try to turn it off and on several times and see if that helps. If these attempts fail, You may have a bad wireless adapter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've done that and it still does not work. What am I supposed to do now? The front is illuminated green showing "wireless". That suggests that it is working.
If it is showing green, then the wireless should be working. Go into your network connections and right click on the wireless connection. Then click enable if it is not enabled. If it is enabled click on view wireless connections.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It says Not Connected - but I am connected directly to my BT HomeHub.

When I right click it comes up with a series of options. But in bold it states "View Available Wireless Networks". When I right click on that it states "Windows cannot configure this wife connection. If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software.

G into your network connections again and right click the wireless connection. Go to properties. Once you are in there you will see a list of things pertaining to the adapter. One of them is the Intel software. Uncheck it and see if you are able to view available wireless networks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm computer useless and I don't understand.

It says "This connection uses the following items:

Client for Microsoft Networks

File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

QoS Packet Scheduler

WLAN Transport

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"

Which one is the software you are referring to?

Also above it, it says "Connect using: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 5100". Then an option to configure.

We may have just found the problem. There should be something in there called Intel Wireless Connection Agent. It appears that this software may be missing. It will be something that came with the laptop. You can verify if it is installed or not by looking in Control Panel> Install Uninstall software. There should be two or three items in there for Intel wireless stuff. Even if they are in there, I would click on it and do a repair is that option exists. If it doesn't exist, i would uninstall the software pertaining to Intel Proset wireless and then reinstall it after a reboot.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It now says that I am connected to my BTHomeHub but I still cannot get on the internet or access my work e-mails which I have to do through Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client. It doesn't make any sense to me,
That is probably a security issue with the VPN software. You will have to set your security settings on your Cisco Client to allow access to the internet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I keep typing in my password XXXXX it says connection attempt has failed due to unresolvable host entry. I don't have to be in Cisco to access the internet so I don't understand why that won't work.

Give me a second here. I'll see what I can find out.

The Unresolvable Host Entry error is a Cisco error. It is something in the VPN client not allowing you to access anything. You shouldn't have to type in a password XXXXX get on the internet. If it is prompting you for a password XXXXX is trying to go through the Cisco VPN.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, the internet is not prompting me for a password.

In the past, I cannot get into Cisco unless I can get into the internet. I don't understand why I cannot get into the internet now because I am connected to the HomeHub.

That is quite interesting. At least we have gotten the initial question taken care of. I will try to help you with this other as much as possible, but don't know how far I will be able to go with it since it isn't pertaining to the initial question of hot to get the wireless radio switch turned on.

Experience: MCP, MCSA, iNet+, Net+, A+
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think I will have to ring work tomorrow and see what they say. I am also very tired! Thank you very much for your help.

I am glad I was able to help you get the wireless turned on anyway. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.