Brandon M.
Brandon M., Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Currently an IT Manager for law firm. Work with Exchange, Blackberries, MS Office daily
12024030

HOW DO I STOP GETTING A POP MESSAGE FROM WEBPAGE THAT SAYS

HOW DO I STOP GETTING A POP MESSAGE FROM WEBPAGE THAT SAYS: wARNING YOUR PERSONDAL COMPUTER NEEDS TO INSTALL ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE. PERSONAL SECURITY CAN PERFORM FAST AND FREE SCAN OF YOUR COMPUTER

Your computer is infected with malware, which is causing this popup. Follow these steps:

1. Download and save combo fix to your desktop. You can get combo fix from the following URL http://tinyurl.com/6dbbay
  2. Once you have combo fix saved to your desktop, don't run it just yet. You will need to make sure you disable any existing antivirus, antispyware, antirootkit and firewall programs that you may have installed on your system.
  3. Now you can go ahead and double click the combo fix icon on your desktop. If you get a security warning, click Run on the security warning window.
  4. Next you should get a disclaimed agreement, please click "Yes" to accept this agreement.
  5. Combo fix will begin to create a restore point of your current system state before it begins scanning and repairing your system. During this time you may also get a message stating that Windows Recovery Console is not installed. Click "Yes" on this window to install the Recovery Console. Combo fix needs this in order to work correctly. After it has installed you will get another message letting you know if it installed successfully. if it did, click "Yes" on this window to begin the scan. Don't worry if you don't get either of these screens, as it means you already had it installed.
  6. The rest of the process is pretty much waiting for combo fix to scan and disinfect your computer. When it asks you to restart, please allow it / do so.

If you're comfortable with following a more detailed step-by-step with visuals you may visit the following site (and even print it out) http://tinyurl.com/6dbbay

Best regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

hi, ok, i followed the prompts and the combo fixed scanned and did its thing and now Im printing out a report, but it did not ask me to restart my pc. Should I restart and how can I prevent this from happening again (provided this fixed the problem)? thanks,

annmarie

The report, if you still have it opened, can you copy and paste it to me? If not, don't worry about it.

As far as preventing this from happening again you would need an up-to-date antivirus, spyware scanner. Do you currently use anything?

-Brandon
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

all i have is mcafee anti virus.. should i use something else?

i printed out the report. I can scan it and then email it to you or i can fax it to you if you give me a phone number. It closed out after it printed. Should I still restart? How will I know if this worked....

Thanks

Is the subscription to McAfee current and do you know if it updates regularly? McAfee is a good consumer product as long as it is updated. You could also run Spyware Doctor along side of McAfee, it will catch things that McAfee does not. You can find more information it from here http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/ and consider purchasing it if you wish. You can also try check TreatFire http://www.threatfire.com/ which has a free version available to download.

Before restating your computer, check to make sure that McAfee is updated. Double-click the McAfee "M" icon next to the clock. You should see this:
graphic
Simply click the big "Update" button in the upper left hand corner to and it should begin checking for updates.

Once McAfee confirms that it is up-to-date you may restart your computer. You can confirm that the problem has been resolved when you no longer receive the pop-ups.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok, restarted ... my pc was updated from mcafee and i downloaded and ran threatfire. Everything seems ok.... I am going to click the accept button to pay you, but maybe you can tell me what to do as I infected my other pc and followed the same directions but now it says when I try to open anything "illegal operation, attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion". What can I do? I followed the same instructions.....

thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, well I didn't hear back from you re same issue with my other pc bu I am grateful for your answers to this pc, so thank you for your help...