Pat
Pat, Consultant
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

Utilizing Windows XP, Road Runner servers, Linksys G wireless

Customer Question

Utilizing Windows XP, Road Runner servers, Linksys G wireless and IncrediMail. Got an Apple iPod-Touch 64GB for Christmas.Having difficulty setting up "Mail" Cannot send or receive. Can access internet web sites (Costco.com)etc.

Does anyone have a straight forward setup method?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
This is a 64 GB iPod touch right? Road Runner supports only POP3 for accessing e-mail. You can set your iPod up to check it, but be careful as POP3 has the nasty side effect of deleting all the e-mail from the server when you check it. That being said, here we go:

1. Go to System Settings>Mail
2. If an e-mail account is in this list, click on it and then scroll to the bottom of the screen and choose "Delete"
3. On the mail settings screen, click "Add Account..."
4. Choose "Other" as your account type
5. Click "Add Mail Account"
6. Enter all the information in the 4 boxes and click save
7. On the next screen you want to choose "POP" as the account type then fill in as follows:
Name: Your Name
Address: YourXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Description: Road Runner POP3
Host Name: pop-server.sc.rr.com
Password: Your Password

Outgoing Mail
Host Name: smtp-server.sc.rr.com
User Name:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Password: yourpassword

Click Save and back out. When you launch mail, it should log in and check your e-mail.
Pat, Consultant
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

First "Fix" prpvided, does not work!

Need further help and it looks like my time is limited.

As added info...I hve my own home network utilizing Network Magic by Cisco. Again everything on that network is wireless. Network Magic "sees" the Apple IPod Touch and provides a "status" of Online and shows IP address, sub mask and MAC address. This may not help but provided it anyway

Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
You need to call your ISP and ask them for the directions. If your iPod can access the internet then there is not problem with your network settings. The problem is with how the iPod is configured to connect to the mail server.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Have talked to Time Warner (RoadRunner). All they said was "do not use SSL" Wow, what a shame!

Thanks,

Spence

Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
You should really think about switching over to a Gmail account. You don't want your e-mail tied to your ISP. If you move, or you want to switch to a cheaper/better provider, you won't want to because your e-mail address is linked to your connection. A gmail account provides full SSL/TLS access using IMAP (far superior to POP3) and its all free.