C.Martin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  12+ years experience with PC software and hardware

sony digital video recorder, downloaded driver but cannot open

Customer Question

sony digital video recorder, downloaded driver but cannot open the programme with windows vista basic. camera purchased 7yrs ago intructions only go up to windows xp home edition windows xp professional. I still have a disk for windows xp pro that I purchased for a laptop that laptop is now defunk. The desk top I have now was laoded with Vista basic when purchased new. Could it be more benifical to load my xp pro disk instead or not??
Category: Computer
Expert:  C.Martin replied 6 years ago.

There is something in Windows called Compatibility Mode, which means you can run a program installed on Windows Vista as if you were running it on a Windows XP computer.

To do that please locate the executable for the application you are trying to run. Right-click it and select Properties.

Click on the Compatibility tab and tick the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select Windows XP from the drop-down.

Click Apply and OK.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will it be just for the pixela programme? and do I have to do it every time I want to use my camera??
Expert:  C.Martin replied 6 years ago.

You only have to do it for the executable program you are going to use.

Once you click Apply, this will set and save the Compatibility Mode to Windows XP so next time you use the software you don't need to repeat these steps again. It should run in Windows XP mode until you change the Compatibility mode again.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tried that, it still shuts down with error SYS00089 flagged up
Expert:  C.Martin replied 6 years ago.

Ok. Please uninstall the software from your computer.

Insert the installation disk on the CD drive.

Go to My Computer and right-click the CD Drive unit (ie: E:\). Select the option to Explore the contents of the CD.

Select the executable file (ie: setup.exe) and right-click on it. Select the option to Run As Administrator and install the application.

Now repeat the same steps I mentioned in my previous post to run the program on Windows XP compatibility mode.

Please let me know if you still get the same error message.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it did not cure the problem. I have tried unistalling and re-enter, loading the drivers differently, tried to open Pixela Image mixer differently they all seem to load OK it is when I try to open them the screen just goes blank.
Expert:  C.Martin replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the update.

Are you trying to install the Pixela Image mixer on a Windows Vista computer? Or is it the camera driver that is not compatible with Windows Vista?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Pixela Image Mixer which i have a disk for. the disk seems to load and when I click on the individual section to open them to try to use the capture image section the screen goes blank, it did work great on my laptop with XP Pro.
Expert:  C.Martin replied 6 years ago.

Thanks. In that case you can download the Pixela Image Mixer software for Windows Vista from their website:

This should work with your camera.

Edited by Carla P on 1/3/2010 at 7:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the info about the upgrade. Sorry to be a pain BUT___ every time I try to upgrade get an error message that NO version exists on the PC have uninstalled and reinstalled my original disk twice but when I try to download the upgrade it starts and then flags up no version to upgrade where do I go from hear guy's
Expert:  C.Martin replied 6 years ago.
What's the model of your camera?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sony DCR-TRV 16E
Expert:  C.Martin replied 6 years ago.

Thanks. You can download a compatible driver for your Windows Vista computer from the following website:,odw_pt_PT&m=DCR-TRV16E

As for the ImageMixer software I had a look on the Pixela website but unfortunately they haven't got any version available for Windows Vista. You will have to use an alternative software such as Windows Movie Maker.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for all your help but the last info did not make any diff at all I will try to have a word at my local PC world to tech Guys. Thanks again for trying to sort out the problem,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

sorry I have not been in touch before, all that info was unfortunately no good. For info purposes only I emailed Sony and the only way we can achieve any download is with an i link as windows vista and windows 7 is not compatible with Sony Camcorders over three or more years of age.using usb connections. My tower does not have the port for a i link so we are at an empasse.

Sorry you could not sort the problem but it may help some-one else.

Expert:  C.Martin replied 6 years ago.

Glad to hear you sorted the problem.

And thanks for the update.