Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I need your help once again. I have a new PC system with Windows

I need your help once again. I have a new PC system with Windows 7 and have been downloading software programs from my old computer with Window XP. I have sucessfully downloaded PhotoShop and Adobe Elements but can not get Adobe PhotoDeluxe 3.0 to work. I use all three for different applications and so I really want to get Adobe PhotoDeluxe up and running. I know there have been a lot of problems with compatibility issues, etc. with PhotoDeluxe. I have changed compatibility to Windows 95; I have somewhat played around with virtual memory; an issue that came up was the PSUT9532.DLL so I downloaded that; also I up-dated the EPS Parser Plug-in. Now when I boot it up I get the message: "could not initialize PhotoDeluxe because of a program error". I really need your help once again.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

the compatibility mode on win 7 is hit or miss it works sometimes doesnt other times and that version of photodeluxe is not compatible with win 7

you can try photo deluxe 4 i still dont think it is compatible with win7 but it might work in compatibility mode the parser update problem was fixed in version 4 so you wont have to worry about that anyway.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?hexID=828a

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. I downloaded the PhotoDeluxe 4.0 program and tried to get it installed but I get the message: "The destination directory could not be determined." What am I doing wrong?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

it may default to installing to a directory that win 7 will not allow programs to use. i remember some program had that problem.

try selecting custom install or just being careful as you install it somewhere it will show you what directory it is going to install into. change it to something simple like c:\photodx4

or here is version 4.1 that might work a bit better

http://adobe-photodeluxe-home-edition.software.informer.com/

Edited by robert on 1/3/2010 at 7:02 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No luck; I tried your suggestion for 4.1 but the web site says "no longer available"

I'm not the greatest computer whiz if you could give more specifics re: installing 4.0 with a custom install, I would appreciate it.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.
somewhere when you are installing it will say destination folder just read before you click next. if it says custom or typical install choose custom and you will get that option
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay here is what I've been doing:

I click on "DOWN LOAD NOW" from website (4.0)

"Do you want to run or save this file"

I press "save" and put it in OS(C): program files - common files

"DOWNLOAD COMPLETE"

I open the file and click on the icon: pdx401 upus

Winzip self extractor wants file to be unzipped, so I do

"2 files unzipped successuflly"

Press OK and file uploads until I get the message: "The destination directory could not be determined for PD 4.0"

Now what?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

what happens between the unzipped succesfully and the ok

what are you clicking that says ok

and you can change the folder that it gets unzipped to if that is the problem

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Robert,

I tried changing the folder that gets unzipped to a new one in Program Files I entitled "photodx4". Still getting no results. I am getting to the point that a PhotoDeluxe program may be just totally inoperable in Windows 7

Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

that is quite possible. but im not sure where the problem is coming in.

after you unzip it you should be able to go to the folder it was unzipped into and there should be a setup.exe file or something similar.

try right clicking on that and say run in compatibility mode for xp or vista.

tell me what error message you get.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I have discovered the problem thanks to my semi-geeky daughter. The website you had me download AdobePhotoDeluxe 4 is only an update of that program. Since I do not have the original program of 4.0 installed on my computer (only PhotoDeluxe 3.0), trying to find the setup.exe files, etc. is impossible. That may be why I'm getting the message: "The destination directory could not be determined for PD 4.0"

Does this sound festible?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

could be. but i thought at least the first version i gave you was the entire program from the adobe website. i didnt actually try it here. and didnt you have the same error with vs 3

but give it a shot. it would make sense. ask your daugher if she wants a job lol

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help even though I didn't get what I had hoped for.