Jennifer
Jennifer, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  13 Years hardware/software repair, 9 Years CAD Technician

how can i reset my dell xps 710 to factory settings

Category: Computer
Expert:  Jennifer replied 4 years ago.

Hi Michael,

Did the computer come with any disks?

Jennifer

To avoid multiple threads and/or charges; Please respond back to this thread only and do not make a new thread.

You can find the thread link in your email!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no none and i bought it brand new
Expert:  Jennifer replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for that information. Please feel free to print this guide.

* Note - OEM means the computer was purchased with the operating system already on it. This guide would not work if you purchased Vista and installed yourself.

Many computer manufacturer's do not give you a restore disk when purchasing a new computer. The restore option is added to your computers hard drive as a separate partition.

What does this mean for you? Well, this means that you have everything you need to "fix' your computer yourself.

Follow this simple guide to perform a factory restore to your computer.

Important to mention:

A factory restore will delete everything from your computer. This includes pictures, music, documents and programs. Be sure and back-up all of your data before continuing.

The most important file to back-up in the computer is located under my computer, C drive, users. The users folder contains every single profile on the computer and their documents, pictures, favorites, desktop items, etc. No need in trying to save any programs as they will have to be reinstalled.

* Note: When you perform a factory recovery, you do not need the drivers because the manufacturer has them with the reformat! This saves you time! If you added something to your computer after you purchased it, you will need to visit the manufacturers website for the drivers.

To begin:

1. Start the computer and press F11 immediately before the splash screen displays. If this doesn't work (some computers are different), then hit F4 and choose advanced options, factory restore.

2. This will bring up the factory restore wizard.

3. They differ from each brand of computer but the wizard is very self explanatory. Follow the instructions.

4. The entire reformat may take 45 minutes or 3 hours, it just depends on the brand, model and speed of the computer.

5. That's it! Once you are finished, you can paste the user's profiles back in place, reinstall a good anti-virus and reinstall all of your programs.

6. Don't forget to update Windows as there is a service pack 2 you need to install!

Jennifer

* Please understand answers in the computer category can be technically challenging and some can be difficult and time consuming.

* Limited resources can make the answer more complicated. I give you the best answer but cannot provide the resources, other than software.

* Some answers might recommend you download software which may not be free and are from third party websites.

* Unfortunately, hardware problems do arise. It isn't easy suggesting a replacement that cost to fix but it does happen.

* Answers will require action on your end to implement and are not intended to be a quick fix solution.

* If you are uncomfortable with the instructions given in the answer, please contact a local technician.

Please click "ACCEPT" if I answered your question to your satisfaction so that I may get credit for my work.

To avoid multiple threads; Please respond back to this thread only and do not make a new thread.

If you are not satisfied, please ask for clarification or more information.

I try my very best to give you a detailed answer that is easy to understand.

Please do not leave negative feedback out of frustration or due to things I cannot control.

Jennifer, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 13 Years hardware/software repair, 9 Years CAD Technician