Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

cursor has frozen on my Dell PC - how do I fix. Am using my

Customer Question

cursor has frozen on my Dell PC - how do I fix. Am using my laptop to ask the question.
Category: Computer
Expert:  JMU 1998 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.

We could have several scenarios here or a combination:

1). Is the mouse you are using require batteries? If so did you put in fresh batteries?

2). Have you tried to swap out the existing mouse with another one that you know for sure works?

3). does this non-working mouse work on your laptop?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No batteries required, have swapped back to the original dell mouse that I got but I have not tried either of these on my laptop. the mouse that I have been using for the past two years was the kind with the red light - light did not come on and that is when I switched back to the original dell mouse, which did not work either.
Expert:  JMU 1998 replied 4 years ago.
we need to follow a logical method of elimination atep by step. Next step would be to connect the same mouse to the laptop and see if it works.

If it does work then we know the mouse is not the issue if it does NOT work then it is. Also I suggest you to try a different USB port (assuming this is a USB mouse)...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the mouse works when attached to my laptop. in order to use the same mouse on my PC it was plugged into an adapter which was plugged into a port on the back of the hard drive. the dell mouse is currently plugged into the tower and does not work. am in the process of rebooting PC at the moment in the event that i need to use it. cursor still frozen in the middle of the screen and I can navigate from one icon to another with the arrow key and use enter to go into the application. I cannot go to the start button in the lower left hand corner to get into the computer programs.
Expert:  JMU 1998 replied 4 years ago.
this really is very strange. Can you look in the BIOS and see if something got changed for the pointing device?

Also take a quick look at device manager and under "Mice and pointing devices" there should not be any yellow warning triangles..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i don't know what BIOS is and if I could get into the device manager I would do it, but I can't get the cursor arrow to move to start so that I can go there. I also have a pop up window on the screen currently which is not allowing me to use the arrow keys. even if I could use the arrow keys the cursor arrow would not moved......
Expert:  JMU 1998 replied 4 years ago.
you should be able to get to the start menu using the arrow keys. As soon as your machine restarts click the "TAB" button till the "Start" button is highlighted and then click the enter or return key to open start then use the arrow to navigate to control panel and keep using the arrow key to get to device into device manager.

Have you tried to boot the machine in safe mode? do you encounter the same issue?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am still having loads of trouble getting into where I need to be. so thanks for your help and I am going to see if I can find someone that can come in person to help me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other
i managed to solve the problem all by myself. Just started making changes in things, keeping track of what I did so I could undo if they did not work and finally came across something that did.