Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Hi, when i turn my computer on, the first thing i get is a

when i turn my computer on, the first thing i get is a rectangle notice that says that
"octoshapeclient.exe
could not find module to launch"
I have since uninstalled firefox and avg8, and reinstalled them. still the same message comes up. also when i visit ebay or some other sites, i get warning that has the the red microsoft shield with an x:
"there is a problem with this website's security certificate.
...
we recommend that you close the webpage and do not continue to this website"
under that text there is a green shield image with a minus (-) sign a"click here to to close"
then a red shield image with + sign "continue to this website (not recommended)"
then an image with an arrow-head pointing down "more information"

what is going on? how can i get rid of these messages?
i don't have much money to spend or buy on any programs.
thank you in advance. XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and welcome To Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help..

Please go to your start menu, control panel, classic view add remove programs for xp, or programs and features for vista..

now see if you have anything listed called Octoshape live streaming.. If you do , uninstall it..

Then once uninstalled... go to this link to download and run this free program..

link

once downloaded, run the file to install.. then run the program malwarebytes..

Have it perform a quick scan.. Let me know if it finds anything, thne have it remove whatever it finds before closing it..

Then go here..

link please download CC cleaner from the link on the right in green that says download..

then install, then run it.. ( its also free)

When its running click on registry, and have it fix what it finds..

Let me know if after doing this you still have the errors from before and the startup message.. If so i will continue to assist you..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I went to control panel, found "Octoshapre Streming Services ...used rarely...last used 1/7/2002"

then text

"To change this program of remove it from your computer, click Change/Remove"

so I clicked it and got

"OctoshapeClient.exe failed: Could not find module to lauch."

Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. then try this..

Please follow this guide to access the registry, and then to manually delete the octoshare program form system..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314481

when you get to In Registry Editor, locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

to navigate to the key in the registry, you click on each file name between the slash marks like this

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE... when you click this one a list opens, find software on the list and double click it.. Do the same for each listing below..
\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Uninstall

When you get to uninstall.. your looking for the octoshare listing.. right click it and delete it..

Let me know if you have any issues in doing so.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So I manage to find HKEY LOCAL MACHINE...

doubleclick each

go to Software

Microrosoft

Windows

CurrentVersion

Uninstall

... but on Uninstall I find things in alphabetical order ... (looking for OctoshapeClient)

...

...

....

and they are MS131-RCI

NetMeeting

NSLDown level Mapping

OutlookExpress PCHealth

Quick...

...

...

There is no OctoshapeClient.exe there.

Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. lets move on to the next step then..

download and run malwarebytes, then cc cleaner.. that may clear out the remnants of the program..

let me know if that helps or not so i can suggest the next steps neccesary, if neccesary.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just noticed that my time on the lower right hand side of the screen is 7:29 AM when the actual time is 7:48PM Pacific time . I don't think the time was wrong earlier, but when I redownloaded firefox and avg this afternoon, one of them (I can't remember which one) sent a note that the time was wrong, and that I should correct it if I can. I checked it then and it seemed OK, so I did not do anything.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where and how can i find "malwarebytes, and then cc cleaner"?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi..

I'm sorry that I really am so computer illiterate...where can I find "malwarebytes and then cc cleaner?"

Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
I apologize for the delay, last christmas guests arrived late, had to entertain and host..

The two links below is where you find malwarenytes and cc cleaner.

link

Then go here..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,
I have run the malwarebytes quick scan (it found nothing), and the FileHippo or CC Cleaner, and it didn't find anything either ... yet I still get that "OctoshapeClient.exe could not find module to launch" notice right after I turn my computer on.
HOWEVER, I was able to go to PayPal without any warnings or other alarming messages.
So, do you have any more suggestions, or do I just have to accept the annoying OctoshapeClient.exe message like a disembodied soul/ghost?
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Ok,, it may be hiding in a moxilla plugin..

could you check your mozilla plugins, and see if there is any reference to octoshape..
If there is.. please delet that plugin.. let me know what you see or dont see..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I check mozilla plugins?
Also, this Octoshapeclient -notice came before I uninstalled the FF3.5.5. and avg8. As I wrote earlier, I then installed FF3.5.6 and free avg9.
I
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
When you uninstall firefox, it leaves your plugins in tact, unless you also manually go in and erase all your plugins and profile info..

on the firefox menu up top.. click on tools, click on add ons, now look through both plugins, and extensions..

If you see anything with octo in it, let me know..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,
Yes, there under ff plugins is "Octoshape Streaming Services 20000.9.928.0
Octoshape embedded video plugin"
Do I just "disable" it, or how do I get rid of it?
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Disable it first.. then close all instances of mozilla you have running.

Then go here C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins

Now find the octo client, and delete it..

This was a program, not a virus perse, that was distributed by cnn... used to infiltrate users of cnn's websites computers..

Read here http://techlifepost.com/2009/02/06/cnn-installs-invasive-streaming-%E2%80%98enhancement%E2%80%99/

So in the future to prevent you from getting this, stay away from cnn sites, or turn your internet security up really high so it asks you before installing anything.. And also, and i would have made this mistake to before you showed me this problem..
Also, dont trust downloads from CNN, they have bad ethics to distribute this type of software. ( my opinion, not Just Answers)
Ok.. after deleting the files for octoshape.. go back and run mozilla, and then check plugins, does it show octo in there still?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Back at this again. Hello.

I went to FF tools - plugins and disabled Octoshape...

Closed FF off.

Now, when I go to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins

I find to items:

plugins..................npnul32.dll

searchplugins............amazon
answers

creativecommons

google

ebay

wikipedia

yahoo

When I click plugins npnul32.dll, I get a window that says: "your are attempting ro open a file of type 'Application Extension' (dll) These file are used by operating system and by various programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system. "

And when I click to open it anyhow, I get a message that windows can't open it.

When I turn my computer on, I still get the "OctoshapeClient.exe failed

could not find module to launch"

Are you ready to throw the towel, or should I try something else?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

When I went to 'search' and typed octo* two "octoshapeclients" came up. One is :

OCTOSHAPECLIENT.EXE- ....C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch 13KB PF File

and the other one was in the recycle bin. I deleted everything in the recycle bin.

When I go to the C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch I can spot among the other stuff the OCTO.... but I don't know how to get rid of it as I could not find any "uninstall" methods there.

Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
the prefecth file.. in windows..

delete that file..

when your on the folder.. right click the octo item in the folder, and delete it.. that shold stop it from trying to open..

So much trouble from a cnn sponsored spyware program..

If it wont allow you to delete , we may need to change the folder permissions..

also, have a look at the mozilla plugins folder again..delete everything in the folder, just right click it and delete.. Mozilla is quick and easy to download plugins again.

And before doing any of this, what may help is to make sure your showing hidden files and folders..

this page will explain quickly and simply how to display them

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have deleted all octo-stuff on file and folders that came up with the octo* search.
When I go to Mozilla Add-ons the ghost (light grey colored font, disabled,among other black ones which are not disabled) of

"OctoshapeStreaming Services
Octoshape embedded video plugin"

is still there ready to be "Enable" -d. I can't delete anything else there either, only to "Disable" if I want to.
The window "Octoshape Client.exe failed ..." still comes on right after I turn my computer on.
I tried to manually uninstall plugins by going to about:config and about:plugins, and I found C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npnul32.dll , but I was not able to go any further, or rename the npnul32.dll.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok. lets try it this way..

press the windows key and r

type in msconfig..

hit enter, now click on startup, now click the name field , to structure the list by alphabetical order, now see if you see anything related to octosahpe, if you do , disable it, and then click apply..

and if you have not done so,. please download and run this free program.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

install it, then run it, click on registry, and scan and then repair any errors it finds..

Now restart the computer, is the message there?

Edited by D.Sandlin on 12/28/2009 at 12:58 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hit windows key and r

typed in msconfig

hit enter

clicked on startup...there are only these items there:

Reader_sl (program files)

E_S1OIC2 (C: windows)

SOUNDMAN (SOUNDMAN EXE)

avgtray

Drivercure

ctfmon

Reg Mech

Microsoft office C: PROGRA... Common startup

PHOTOfunSTUDIO C: ... Common startup

PowerReg Schedule C: Documents &Set Startup

There is nothing else there

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok... we could also look in the registry for the startup items..

Sometimes they dont show.. but.. i get the feeling there is something here im missing..

Why did you uninstall mozilla orginally?

Is it only with mozilla that you were having the issue.. and there was octoshape plugins inside of mozilla..

.....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The reason I uninstalled Mozilla originally was that I was on FFox when I first started getting the message "there's the problem with this website's security certificate... we recommend you close... ..." when looking for something on ebay or amazon.

At that point I had not had received that warning on IE, so I stayed there. I thought that someone may have put some bug on FF, and that caused the warning and the Octo-stuff. ( Later on when I tried to purchase movie tickets online, the same or similar warning came on IE.)

Since avg8 had not caught the Octo* window, I thought that it's outdated, so I uninstalled it, and installed the avg9.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
ok forgive my redundancy, but i want to make sure you did this step

download and run cc cleaner, its a free and powerful tool..

once running, click registry, and have it fix errors there..

then under applications, have it remove any files related to mozilla and IE

please verify that this is done ..

Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I must have gone for coffee while the free filehippo was running last time. This time I tried to write down the number of files it listed with red. The "six free cleanups" did not remove the octo-message when I turn the computer on, so I have purchased the PCTool online. This PCTool is quite confusing to me as it seems to have so many components or programs that it gives, yet the when I register to different components I thought came with it, it does not accept the code given by PCTools -- even after I've pasted and copied the code.

So now I am going to figure out what I have purchased, and how to make it work.

You have been very helpful, extremely helpful! Thank you. Have a very happy, healthy, peaceful, and prosperous New Year.