Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

i have a PRESARIO C700 that gets that hot it sounds and feels

Customer Question

i have a PRESARIO C700 that gets that hot it sounds and feels like its gunna blow up or take off, i have downloaded a speedfan and it goes up to 89c. the fan is constantly going well it sounds like its gunna take off) like A helicopter) i have blown n vaccumed where the fans are the seem clear i also have the left side ( where fans are) elevated on some small books so theres air getting under there, the noise a computer makes when u turn it on is the same noise this laptop does constantly.
any ideas on what i cab try? it also just started a startup repair when i turned it on. im worryed its gunna blow up or something
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome To Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to help..

That model is prone to overheating, this is a wide spread issue.. there is a solution though..

First lets see if you need to download it.. Please go to control panel, classic view, power options, and see if you have something called PowerNow!

If you do , run it, set it to laptop mode, and it should almost instantly cure your overheating problem..

Let me know if you have it or not!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi i have

HP recommended(change plan settings)

power saver

and high performance

under them 2 there balanced

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
You dont have power now?

please go here and download it

http://www.amdboard.com/powernow.html

you will see several download links on the right side of the page, you want the lowest one that is version 3.04

download it, install it, then run it..

once you get it running, have it run in the mode for laptop.. that should stop the processor from running at full blast all the time, which is causing the overheating issue..
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi again sorry all that comes up on the side is

sdram

amd

intel

Ddr400

fsb

dif

raginbull

pci express

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
oh this 1 lets me on a diff site lol but wen ii do it on mums i get the other 1 ill try again
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok found it downloaded it but i dont think its gunna let me instal it ill try again but
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
hmm.. i can post the download link.. ill have to break it up.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/AMDPowernowver3.04. EXE

just copy and paste this into your address bar on the web browser... and remove those spaces between 3.04. and EXE

that is the direct download link for the program you need.

I was posting this as you replied.. so you found it, what issues is it giving you with installing it/?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
a box has come up that says.. warning this system is not AMD powernow (tm) technology, this software will successfully instal but it will not be functinal
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
???

Ok.. can you relay to me the full model number.. it should be on a tag on the bottom of the laptop..

And in the mean time, go into your power options, and let me know what power prfile you are on?>

Is it on always on?>

Edited by D.Sandlin on 12/24/2009 at 7:03 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi im so sorry for the late reply i lost dam connection its so annoying when that happens

presario C700

c763TU

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

and in power options all that is written in

HP recommended

power saver

high performance

and its set as hp recommended

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Go for power saver.. That should be the equivalet of turning down the processor..

In the meantime, im going to see if i can locate a proper prorgam to control the processor better then the built in hp program..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok when i go into change settings on power saver it comes up

turn off display - 3 mins (on battery) & 20mis on plugged in

put computer to sleep in ( so many mins)

adjust display brightness

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Yes, those settings are fine.. the settings you cannot change, but are built into power saving mode, is that it allows the processor to shut down if not in use, hence lowering overall heat output...

After poring over the hp site, they recomend a bios upgrade..

here is the page to donwload the upgrade..
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-65442-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=nz&product=3689033&os=2093

this will help the motherboard and brain run more efficiently ( with less heat) and should stop the laptop from overheating and the fans running all the time..

If you have never flashed bios before.. the most important thing is that the computer doesnt lose power, so make sure the battery is charged, and the computer is on ac power..

Now if your computer has been overheating a lot and cutting off. you may want to let it cool down first..

If you have changed the power setting to power saver, let the computer sit there, on a hard surface, in a well ventilated area.. see if it cools down, and the fans stop running, if it does, then install the bios update..

if it doesnt, shut it off, let it cool down, and then install the update quickly once its cool..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok no worries i will try that link its not very hot at the moment so ill let it cool then do it,

hope this works ( mums haven withdraw symptoms bcoz i have her computer lol)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it rebooted so i have to see if it worked it still makes a noise when its loading a page ( even thats slow but i do reg scans etc) still blowing warm heat wen i put my hand on the side near fan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

speedfan says its 78c still 2 hot isnt it?

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Hmm,...

try to load the bios defintely, if it doesnt fix the issue, then at least it knocks out the system board totalluy.

PS.. when the computer is running, does the fan cut off at all now since you changed power settings'?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

its quiet wen i 1st turned it back on still hot but.

i just re downloaded that link so now its shutting down again and its quiet so wont know till it loads again..

( sorry if im a pain lol)

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Not a problem.. Its late, the coffees luke warm.. Ive plenty of cigarettes ...

When you say you redownloaded that link to the bios.. Are you trying to install it yet?

And by the way, if the fans cut off, then that should mean the computer is producing less heat, it wouldnt cut the fans off if it was overheating still..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi sorry, ahh no i had enuf yesturday of the computer lol, i downloaded it and installed it but seems it didnt work? i asked mum if it was better today and she said its still the same and the speedfan was still saying it was in the 70c
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Hmm.. 70c seems like its running cooler then the 89c it was..

Also.. I assume the fans are no longer running constantly?

Merry Christmas by the way.. hope you recived and gave some nice things this year!

Now back to the heat problem..
I think y9ou can agree that the computer is definitely running cooler now.. As far as running as cool as some other computers, thats just not going to happen do to critical design errors on the computer..

My best suggestion at this point is internally, we have done all we can do.. The only thing that can help now.. is one of those external cooling plates you set the computer on.. Have you seen those"?>

check this out, http://www.amazon.com/BELKIN-LAPTOP-COOLING-PLATFORM-F5L001-APL/dp/B000VT3XXQ

At this point, i think your goal is now to prolong the life of the device as much as possible.. Heat is the number one source of computer catastrophic failure..

If you have any questions or ideas, let me know!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

wen i installed it , it did a flash or flush bios then shuts down is it meant to do that?

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Yes, absolutely..

do not interupt it .. dont press or do anything at all.. let it finish what its doing, even if it looks like its off..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi mate, and a merry xmas to u also, wen it shuts down thats it lol i have to turn it back on. right now the core temp is 78c goes up and down, the fans are always working just its loud and sounds like.. i dunno its hard to describe but u can hear it,, u know if u load a page and the fans go u can here them, thats wat this does and the front of it ( left side next to mouse pad) all that area is very hot
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it sounds probably like a jet engine, or a turboprop plane..

This is a very common issue with that model of computer..

there are some other updates we can apply to lower the heat a little more.. I need the exact model number, it isnt just a presario 700...

please press the windows key on the keyboard, and hold it down, now press the pause break key on the keyboard, that brings up the system info page..

if that doesnt work, try right clicking upon the my computer icon.. then clicking properties..

It should have something lsited for brand, and more importantly model... let me have that when you find it!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

im in sydney at my brothers at the moment heading back to the illawarra soon.

hope u have had a great day with family,wife etc

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the only thing comming up is compaq presario C700.

i have to pak up computer now n head home so ill be back in an hour ( if your still on line) also i will be sending u $10 or wat ever i can afford on pay day to say thanks for your help

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
You already paid me.. no need to pay twice.. Thank you for the offer though..

I accepted the work at the price offered.. and its christmas.. Consier it a christmas present..

Send me a message whenever you continue, also.. For bonuses right now, Im accepting christmas food..!! ( not money)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well food i cant help with bcoz im in australia lol (sorry) gee the fog was that bad on the way home couldnt see 2 foot steps in front didnt even know if we were on the right side of the road it was crazy.

anyway ill have to wait till tomorrow now to continue bcoz its 1.30am its been a long day so im just gunna try n sleep mum has her computer anyway.

i do hope u have a happy and safe xmas.

take care for now

kylie

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
thank you and good night..

send me a message tommorow when your ready to continue..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok i will and thank you again for all the help,

hope u have a nice xmas,

be safe my friend

kylie

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi mate sorry its taken me awhiile to get back to u have been busy... i hate school holidays..
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok, last thing we were trying to do was locate the model number of the computer..

It may be on a tag on the bottom, model number, and possibly service tag, and possibly serial number..

if you can locate that, send me all the info off of it..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok we have product key -

XGBCC-68X6V

HYFXM-XH3XY-6P4W4

pn/ KT181PA#ABG

sn/ CND822WC82

C763TU

these are the only numbers i can see

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im guesssing the C763TU is the 1 you are wanting its on the bar code next to service tag
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi just wondering if yu have found something to try n fix computer yet? its running slow as well
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
My apologies for the delay,

I didnt see you last message..

I assume the computer is still running hot, is it running as hot as it used to.. we may have done all we can do in that area.. As far as it running slow, this could be due to the increased heat having damaged some of the components.. there are a few programs that we could run to try and speed it up..

lets try this first, please go to this link.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ download CC cleaner form the green download link on the right.. Its a free program, that doesnt charge you to fix anything. If the program you downkload asks you to pay at any point, you have downloaded the wrong one..

Once its downloaded, run it, and then Click registry first, then click scan, and then fix the issues it finds.. Then go through and click applications, and have it delete anything related to internet explorer, and any other temp files for other programs you feel safe removing..

After this se if the running speed is any faster.. if not, we can try a few other programs..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello thats ok ui gathered u may have been busy or taking a break, i already have ccleaner i love the programs off filehippo
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok, so i assume that youve ran cc cleaner with now success then after i mentioned it again..

( Its a nice free program isnt it ? )

Ok, lets try this as well, just in case.. ( also free (''

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

make sure to only download the free version of malwarebytes. sometimes the off site download links it takes you to can get confusing, do not download pc doctor or registry mechanic or anything else by accident..

We just want the program malwarbeytes, and the file name you will download to install it is mbamsetup.exe

once downloaded, install it, and have it run a full scan ,let me know if it finds anything.. and then have it remove anything it finds before closing..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the programs i use are spybot, ccleaner, superantispyware and alos trend micro.

have already been scanning them and the temperature of the computer is at 85c so i am guessing if i cant find something to bring down the heat im gunna have to take it to a repair shop and thats gunna cost alot.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ill go to that link and download it as well

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi mate i just wanted to let you know that a computer guy "thinks" he knows what is wrong with mums computer so shes put it in to be fixed, i like the "THINKS" he knows what the problem is.

thank you for all your help and i wish u luck and best wishes for 2010

kind regards

kylie

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. A word of advice.. I know what wrong with the computer, the motherboard needs to be replaced.. but heres the trick, the computer will continue to run for a long time without replacing the motherboard..

If you google that model of laptop, and overheating, you will see that this is a very common system board issue, and a lot of people had hoped for a factory recall, which never came..

I wouldnt pay to replace the motherboard.. A better bet, would be to add a higher efficiency fan, though still very effective..

Personally, if they suggest you replace the motherboard, it may cost around 2 to 5 hundred dollars.. Your almost better putting that towards a new laptop, as a new motherboard can very well develop the same problem..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
oh ok, yeah well i dont have that kind of money and either does mum lol, where can i get the fan i mite give that a go see it it works alittle, i think ill go into the computer shop with her tomorrow as i think if they know u dont know anything about computers they prey on that, where as i know a little,
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
well, just keep in mind, if they mention motherboard, its expensive..

If they mention replacing the fans, its semi expensive, ==

good luck, id like to hear how it goes.. Maybe i totally missed something..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no worries ill let u know for sure, and again thanks for everything, ill be in touch have a great day/night
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi mate how r u...i went down to computer shop today to get mums computer and he said he doesnt exactly know whats wrong with it but mite need a new mother board,also he said it shut itself off, i brought it home had a look and it turned itself off and wouldnt go back on.. so me beeing me i tryed a little experiment i put my hair dryer on the side so it was blowing into the fan area ( my hair dryer blows hot and cold) anyway i left it there for awhile and got on line and it seemed to not be as hot! it was down in 50-60c and thats great compared to it beeing 60-95c so tomorrow im going to see if i can get a fan for it, i have seen a tray they have out and the computer sits on it and it has 4 fans on the tray. i dont think i like thats 2 me it doesnt look like much air expecially cool air would be getting underneath..so im happy with the way my experiment went least now i know if i find a fan it will be cooled down alot more, now i can add that to the lists or i fixed this lol ive fixed a few computers but this 1 had me abit baffled as i didnt know i could find a way to cool it down, thats y i contacted u.

anyway just filling u in, ill let u go , stay safe and thanks for yr help

kylie

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi again i went down down to see the computer guy today to get a cooling fan he said he tryed that and it didnt work plus it was more of a suck the heat not blow n make it cold

me beeing me i wasnt happy with that so i borught a cooling fan plus a small fan u can put in the dashbord of a car or at work on the table its not to big and not 2 small so i have that also and i have put it on the side it gets hot so the cold air is going underneath and also on the side,. ive gotten it down to 45c so my little experiment worked, as long as the fans are going its not heating up so im happy yet again one of my experiments worked lol. anyway just wanted to share that with u as im proud lol hope u have a nice day

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Thank ytou for the update.. It seems you knew more about fixing the problem then the computer guy did.. ( remember my warning about tgose people?)

As far as the base to put the laptop on, thats one of the suggestions i had made earlier, if you look about my tenth post..

from above http://www.amazon.com/BELKIN-LAPTOP-COOLING-PLATFORM-F5L001-APL/dp/B000VT3XXQ

About your tests, once again, congrats.. You actually figured out something that an autohorized PC repairman didnt..

I would definitely go with the cooling base.. It may not help as much as the fan setup you made, but it will dispel heat from under the laptop as well, which is the main area heat builds up..

Thanks for the update..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi mate yeah it makes a small bit of diff with the cooling pad not much though, i have fixed many compuetrs on my own but a mojority of them i just reset back to factory settings so this was somethiing diff but in the end i found a way. i dont really like the cooling pad as its just 1 fan and its in the middle of the tray so i still dont think they make much difference asits in the middle but anyway.

i got my brother to get on and play his mafia wars and monitor the heat and it was down at 45c so, so far its working, :)

as for the computer guys i dont trst them much i said to mum he looked like he was shocked that i actually knew what i was talking about and everything he told mum i had already told her that weeks ago so,, u could seein his face wen i was talking i thought yeah all u have going threw yr head is shit she knows what shes talking about lol

anyway i better go , thanks for your assistance ill keep u updated if anything changes

take care mate

kylie

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Alright, thank you and good luck.. And if you run into any other issues, Im just a message away.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks mate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

wow i had forgotten about this! still gets hot bit now! NOW its not typing ive pulled it apart 2 times nothing seems loose so maybe it needs a new keyboard?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

wow i had forgotten about this! still gets hot but now! NOW its not typing ive pulled it apart 2 times nothing seems loose so maybe it needs a new keyboard?