Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer with 10 years of experience in Computer Support, and Microsoft, A+ and Cisco certified
23822421

My dell webcam seems to be malfunctioning. I am a skype user.

Customer Question

My dell webcam seems to be malfunctioning. I am a skype user. I can see the party on the other line but they can't see me. My webcam light is blue. My video window is black. When I take a picture it is black. Help!!!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Jhon Cappuccio, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Hello. Do you have a laptop? Can I have the model number?

Is the webcam integrated?

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have the vostro 1510 with the integrated webcam
Please reinstall the XP driver for the Webcam from here:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&rel easeid=R189396&SystemID=VOS_N_1510&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=17135&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=17&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=259777

Remember: If this answer does not solve the problem, please let me know so we can try with another solution

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
If you found my answer helpful please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.
Any bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This did not work. I closed out of skype and reopened. My blue light does go on but no picture on my side just a black screen. I have gone through skype settings as well. Is there something that needs to be done to set this as default camera?
Check this please:

1- Open Skype

2- Go to the Tools Menu, and choose Options

3- Then choose "Video settings" under the "General" section

4- Check "Enable Skype Video"

5- Check "Start my video automatically when I am in a call"

6- Click Save
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when I click on video settings I do not get (4) or (5) a box for "enable skype video" to check. It brings up a window that shows laptop integrated webcam with a box below it that is blank. Also the dell webcam console comes up with camera controls.

Ok, please download the latest skype from http://www.skype.com/download
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
already have done that. As I said, I erased skype and downloaded it before I contacted you.
I am sorry, I didn't know you have reinstalled the newest version. Some users reinstall it from a disk, etc.

Please follow this troubleshooting and let me know:
http ://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/tree?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&treeid=0F7284E9F1CA5A7FE040030ABD625CCC&journalid=7B5540DBC8BC772FE040AE0AB5E12008&Query=d2ViY2Ft&SystemID=VOS_N_1510&ServiceTag=&contenttype=-1&os=-1&component=-1&lang=-1&doclang=en&toggle=false

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

followed directions and tried skype again. no change

I would try with the Beta Version of Skype, 4.2
http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windows/beta/

If that does not work we can try updating the BIOS of your computer.

Please keep me posted.

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no dice

I was thinking the Dell Webcam utility may interferes with Skype.

Please disable it and try again.

Please keep me posted.

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I need direction on that

Ok:

1- Go to Start, Run, type msconfig and press ENTER
2- Go to the Startup tab and find a "Dell Webcam Manager" or similar, and turn it off
3- Restart your computer
4- Let me know if know is working

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had already turned it off.

No luck ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nope. It still pops up whenever it wants. I do not see how to turn it off..
I don't understand, you just said "I had already turned it off"

Please confirm
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When you told me to originally uncheck everything in the start up menu I did except for skype.

There is maybe a Dell cam icon on the bottom right corner?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found the icon and hit exit. Retried skype and nothing new happened.
1- Open Skype

4- Check "Enable Skype Video"

6- Click Save

Is different now ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When go to the video settings under the general tab I do not get a box that says "enable skype video". you have previously asked me to do the same thing but I do not have this even under the Beta version which we downloaded
What do you have there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it says set up your webcam

below that is a picture of a camera and the words Laptop integrated webcam

below that is a black rectangular box

below that are 2 statements:

Automatically receive video from and show video to (I have previously manipulated the choices to no avail)

When did the problem start ? did you install any software or hardware recently?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It started yesterday. I have not installed any new software to my knowledge. Again the core problem here is that I can see their picture but I cannot nor they cannot see me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have downloaded drivers as requested and restarted the machine. no luck
Please update the BIOS of your computer DELL Vostro 1510. Download and install updater from here:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R215210&SystemID=VOS_N_1510&servicetag=&os =BIOSA&osl=en&deviceid=17544&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=7&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=1&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=305034

Please backup your important data, and close all the running applications before installing the BIOS update.

Do not unplug or turn off the laptop while performing this task.

Dell recommends applying this update. The update contains feature enhancements or changes that will help keep your system software current and compatible with other system modules (firmware, BIOS, drivers and software).

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio

PS: Instructions

Download file to Desktop

The file V1510A15.exe is using the windows format and is designed to be directly executed from Windows environment.

1. Click Download now.
    The File Download window appears.

2. Click the Save button.
    The Save As window appears.

3. Select Desktop using the drop-down menu to the right of Save in.

4. Click the Save button.
    A progress meter moves as the download is completed.

5. If necessary, click X in the upper right-hand corner of the Download Progress Window to close it upon completion.

NOTE: Shut down all other applications prior to running the BIOS update utility. The update utility shutdown your system in order to get the new BIOS loaded.

Run the BIOS update utility from Windows environment

1. Double click the Icon on your desktop labeled V1510A15.exe.
    The BIOS Flash window appears

2. Click the Start button.
    Wait a monent, It will start to flash BIOS automatically

3. The system will shutdown when the BIOS Flash is completed.

Edited by Jhon Cappuccio on 12/23/2009 at 4:09 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Still in the same spot. I can see the person on the other side, my picture does not come up nor can they see me. Audio is fine.

Please try login in to Windows XP with another user.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not understand
First we can try booting in Safe Mode

Restart the computer and press F8 repeatedly (before the windows logo appears), until you get the Boot Menu.

Choose Safe Mode and press ENTER

Wait for windows to be loaded completely

Restart your computer on normal mode
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Eureka it worked. However, it appears that I need to do some adjustments the camera as I am showing up dark. Can you help me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I have figured the lighting issue by changing my screen angle. The only remaining problem is that the camera is constantly auto focusing and I am getting dizzy. This happens even when I am sitting perfectly still
Try to find the "auto focus option" on the Dell Webcam Utility and disable it.

If you think I helped you with your question and that I deserve a positive feedback, please click the "ACCEPT" button so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.

Let me know also if you found the "auto focus" option.

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I cannot find how to get to the Webcam Utility.

1- It should be on the system tray (bottom right corner). Right click the webcam icon and try to find options or preferences and turn off autofocus.

2- Also you can try on Start, Control Panel, try to find there a webcam icon. Or also on Start, All Programs, try to find a folder called Dell Webcam or similar.

3- You can try with a better light on your room, moving the webcam to another angle and/or putting the laptop closer or farer from you.

I will be logged off today for Christmas. I will return tomorrow morning.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and God blessings.

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Enjoy your holiday. I have gone through the process but nowhere is their a utility option. It only takes me to the console. none of the settings apply they all about recording. also tried through program menu with no result.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Happy to pay you once we have this problem resolved.
I actually think the "My video window is black" issue is now solved, and the current issue is a different one.

Option 1:
Please try with a better light on your room, moving the webcam to another angle and/or putting the laptop closer or farer from you.

Option 2:
Check the Webcam to be clean (use a soft cloth)

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio