Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer with 10 years of experience in Computer Support, and Microsoft, A+ and Cisco certified
23822421

I have a Canon MP730 with the error waste ink near full. How

Customer Question

I have a Canon MP730 with the error waste ink near full. How do I correct it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Jhon Cappuccio, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Do you get any error number also?

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No just the message that the waste ink near full
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello... you there?!?
ok,

Possible Solution #1: reset the printer
  1. Unplug yor printer from the wall outlet, and unplug the power cord from the printer too.
  2. Wait 60 seconds
  3. Replug the printer and turn it on
If that does not solve the problem, I am afraid you need to change the Ink Absorber. Here is the info from Canon:

"Ink Absorber Replacement Options

This printer has an ink absorber that takes in ink during the printing and print head cleaning processes. The cleaning process is necessary in order to keep the print head nozzles from becoming clogged. Over the life of the printer, the amount of ink that the ink absorber has absorbed is calculated by the printer. Eventually, after substantial use, the printer will enter an error condition when the ink absorber is nearly full. At this point, printing is still possible. Press the button to cancel the error. You will still be able to print for a short period. To protect the printer from damage, you will not be able to print at all once the ink absorber is full.

Canon recommends having the printer serviced before the absorber becomes full. We are aware that there are many "do-it-yourself" Web sites that offer instructions for making this repair. Replacing the ink absorber is a complicated and potentially messy procedure. Even if the ink absorber is successfully changed, the ink absorber counter must be reset. Be aware that if you attempt this procedure, it is at your own risk.

If you feel your product might require service, Canon has excellent service options, and we are eager to provide any assistance you may need. Click the link below to locate an authorized service facility and obtain further instructions.

Find a Service Location

If you still have questions about the issue you are experiencing, a Technical Support Representative will be happy to answer any question you may have. You can contact us through the phone numbers listed below.

• For toll-free technical support*, please call 1-800-OK-CANON (or 1-800-652-2666) during regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. EST, excluding holidays).

* There will be a pay for support charge if your product is out of warranty (see next section, below).

• Toll-free TDD Support Line for the Hearing Impaired is available Monday - Saturday (excluding holidays) at 1-866-251-3752

If your printer is no longer under warranty :

• For technical support, please call 1-800-OK-CANON (or 1-800-652-2666) during regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. EST, excluding holidays). Pay for support is required on all units outside their original warranty, unless covered by a Canon Extended Service Plan. The charge will be $9.99. If it is determined that the problem you are experiencing is due to a failure of the printer's hardware, the pay for support charge will be canceled. If your out of warranty printer is determined to have a hardware problem, you have the option to purchase, at discounted pricing and free next business day shipping , a new or refurbished product from our current product line, which includes units with Canon?s new ChromaLife inks, PIXMA Technology, and a limited manufacturer?s warranty.

So we may better assist you, please make sure that you can access your Canon product and have the following information available when you call:

• Product model name and serial number.
  • Computer's operating system; for example Windows XP.
  • Message displayed when the problem occurred.
  • Steps you've already taken to try to solve the problem.

We look forward to helping you rectify the issue you are experiencing and are always available to provide any assistance you may need. "

End of the Canon information.

Please let me know if you have any other question or comments.

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
If you found my answer helpful please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.
Any bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have already tried this. Sorry, but this was no help and not worth the $14

As I told in my previous reply, if resetting the printer does not solve the issue, you will need to service the printer to change the Ink Absorber.

Over the life of the printer, the amount of ink that the ink absorber has absorbed increase and you will need to change the absorber. That has to be performed by a Canon Service Center.

If your printer has the warranty expired, they will charge only $9.99 to change the Ink Absorber.

In my last reply you have the contact numbers and a link to find a close Canon service location.

If still you think this help is not worth the $14 you can ask for a refund here:
www.justanswer.com/refund.aspx

Also, if you think I don't deserve a positive feedback please DO NOT click the Accept button.

I wish you a Merry Christmas.

Thank you
Jhon Cappuccio

Edited by Jhon Cappuccio on 12/20/2009 at 9:29 PM EST