If that does not solve the problem, I am afraid you need to change the Ink Absorber. Here is the info from Canon:
"Ink Absorber Replacement Options
This printer has an ink absorber that takes in ink during the printing and print head cleaning processes. The cleaning process is necessary in order to keep the print head nozzles from becoming clogged. Over the life of the printer, the amount of ink that the ink absorber has absorbed is calculated by the printer. Eventually, after substantial use, the printer will enter an error condition when the ink absorber is nearly full. At this point, printing is still possible. Press the button to cancel the error. You will still be able to print for a short period. To protect the printer from damage, you will not be able to print at all once the ink absorber is full.
Canon recommends having the printer serviced before the absorber becomes full. We are aware that there are many "do-it-yourself" Web sites that offer instructions for making this repair. Replacing the ink absorber is a complicated and potentially messy procedure. Even if the ink absorber is successfully changed, the ink absorber counter must be reset. Be aware that if you attempt this procedure, it is at your own risk.
If you feel your product might require service, Canon has excellent service options, and we are eager to provide any assistance you may need. Click the link below to locate an authorized service facility and obtain further instructions.
Find a Service Location
If you still have questions about the issue you are experiencing, a Technical Support Representative will be happy to answer any question you may have. You can contact us through the phone numbers listed below.
- For toll-free technical support*, please call 1-800-OK-CANON (or 1-800-652-2666) during regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. EST, excluding holidays).
* There will be a pay for support charge if your product is out of warranty (see next section, below).
- Toll-free TDD Support Line for the Hearing Impaired is available Monday - Saturday (excluding holidays) at 1-866-251-3752
If your printer is no longer under warranty :
- For technical support, please call 1-800-OK-CANON (or 1-800-652-2666) during regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. EST, excluding holidays). Pay for support is required on all units outside their original warranty, unless covered by a Canon Extended Service Plan. The charge will be $9.99. If it is determined that the problem you are experiencing is due to a failure of the printer's hardware, the pay for support charge will be canceled. If your out of warranty printer is determined to have a hardware problem, you have the option to purchase, at discounted pricing and free next business day shipping , a new or refurbished product from our current product line, which includes units with Canon?s new ChromaLife inks, PIXMA Technology, and a limited manufacturer?s warranty.
So we may better assist you, please make sure that you can access your Canon product and have the following information available when you call:
- Product model name and serial number.
- Computer's operating system; for example Windows XP.
- Message displayed when the problem occurred.
- Steps you've already taken to try to solve the problem.
We look forward to helping you rectify the issue you are experiencing and are always available to provide any assistance you may need. "
End of the Canon information.
Please let me know if you have any other question or comments.