Kevin
Kevin, Computer Systems Analyst
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Professional (MCSA, MCP) Technician with over 20 years of PC experience.

How can I connect my toshiba color tv to my dish network satellite.

Customer Question

How can I connect my toshiba color tv to my dish network satellite. I do not have a remote control for the tv th model number is XXXXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Can you supply the model number of your dish network receiver and do you have a remote for it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Model number is XXXXX and I have a remote for it
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Okay, thank you.

There are two ways to connect the receiver. One is with a coaxial cable, which is the same kind you would use for cable TV. This is the easiest method. The coaxial cable will work on channel 3, like you are trying to set up. This is what it looks like:

graphic

If you would like to use the any other type of cable (like the 3 part red/white/yellow) to connect the Dish receiver, on your TV you will have to be able to access 'Video" mode. To enter video mode, at the front of your TV is the TV/Video button. Press this until you see the image from your receiver. It may need to be pressed more than once, depending on where you have the cables running in to your TV.

Here is an image:

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've trtied this coaxial method and it is not working. I need the video mode to view dvd's and vhs tapes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've trtied this coaxial method and it is not working. I need the video mode to view dvd's and vhs tapes. I have no trouble connecting other tv brands to the receiver. Is there something in the menue format that has to be changed or corrected?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

That is probably it - the TV does have to be in cable mode as opposed to TV mode. Here is how to change it with the buttons on the TV:

1. Power the TV on (leave on channel 3)
  2. Press the Menu button repeatedly until you get to the Setup screen
  3. Once in the setup screen, press the ADV button until TV/Cable is highlighted
  4. Use the + and - button until you get the picture from your receiver

This should do it...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've tried all of the settings on the TV/Cable selector (TV,STD,HRC,and IRC) and still no picture from the cable. Are ther other settings that should be selcted from the menue?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Checking this for you right now...just another minute or two.

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

You are doing everything correctly - just to be certain on the connections, in the following image, can you doublecheck that the tv cable is connected to the yellow highlighted one and the satellite input is connected to the one on the right please? Thank you...

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did you get my last reply?????
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
I must be missing something - the last one I had was asking to doublecheck to plugins on the back of the receiver - did you get that one? It is the last one showing in the post...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have connected all cables securely as instructed. As a mattrer of fact, I connected another TV to the receiver and the picture came through perfectly!
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Can you try connecting your VCR to the coaxial input on your tv and see if you get a signal? I am wondering if the input may not be working properly...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll try that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I connected the coaxial cable from my DVD PLayer to the TV and I did get a signal. Video and Audio.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Can you try the satellite receiver again on channel 14 and 65 on your television?

Edited by Kevin N on 12/18/2009 at 9:36 PM EST
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Let me modify this a bit - can you change your TV back to TV mode instead of cable? If your TV does not have a 3/4 switch on the back (it doesn't, according to the manual), the receiver needs to broadcast in UHF mode - these are channels 14-69 on your TV. One of these (23?) should work.
Kevin, Computer Systems Analyst
Experience: Microsoft Certified Professional (MCSA, MCP) Technician with over 20 years of PC experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I switched to the TV mode and tried channels 14-69 again with no results. There are only 3 connections in the rear of the TV. Three coaxials, red, white and yellow, and one for the antenna.

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Are you conecting the receiver through the Antenna coaxial connection?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, through the antenna connection. Just one cable. Is this correct?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
That's it - out of curiosity, what are the names of the other 3 coaxial connections?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yellow-Video

White-Audio, L/Mono

Red-Audio R

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There's also an S-Video receptical in the rear.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

I am completely out of ideas - let me opt out to open this up to some others. Maybe they are aware of something I am not.

I will keep researching this and watch the post to make sure this gets taken care of for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wiillyou please inform the specialist who are taking over what we have tried thus far?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
They will be able to see everything that we have done on this post...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanx for your help. I eventually had to connect my TV directly to the satellite receiver using the RCA color coded cables.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Great - I am glad things worked out. Have a great day Bill!