Adam Lowrance
Adam Lowrance, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10 plus years of work experience with Windows, networking, pc and laptop hardware, MS Office
26447752

Every time I boot my computer I get the message Pure Networks

Every time I boot my computer I get the message "Pure Networks Platform Service has encountered a problem and needs to close." I believe this is a carryover from a network connection gone bad in a location I won't be likely to visit again. How can I get rid of this message?
[email protected]
Category: Computer
Expert:  Adam Lowrance replied 7 years ago.

Look in the add/remove programs for "Network Magic" and uninstall if there. If not please reply back here so we can look further.

Thanks,
Adam

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Adam. That was one of the places I looked. "Network Magic" does not appear in the list of programs

Ok, try clicking the start button, then run, and type msconfig. Click the startup tab at the right and see if anything like port magic or pure networks is listed. If so uncheck and reboot and see if it goes away.

Thanks,
Adam

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Adam: Unfortunately, I didn't find anything there that looked suspicious.

Ok, lets try this in the msconfig window click on services and then check the box "Hide all Microsoft Services". Look at the ones that remain and see if it is there. If so uncheck and reboot and see if it goes away.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Adam: Following your instructions, I found, "Pure Networks Platform," and unchecked it. Although at your prior suggestion I also looked at Services after looking at Startup, I missed this service. Also, I thought I had already stopped this service using The Ultimate Troubleshooter but maybe I hadn't.

It is getting late and I must head to bed. I will leave my computer on this evening and reboot it in the morning to see if this step has solved the problem. I do hope so as the message is annoying. Please let me know how I can contact you in the morning.

Thanks for your help to this point. Ron

You can just reply back by logging back in to this website. You can also bookmark this page to be safe. If I remember and don't hear from you I will reply back tomorrow.

Thanks,
Adam

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Adam: I'm back and have tried a number of things. Your answer works, but only partially. After loading msconfig, I unchecked "Pure Networks Platform Service." I received "An Access Denied error ... while attempting to change a service." It further said I may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the change.

I am the only person who uses this computer. Control Panel, User Accounts verifies I am the Administrator so I don't see why I get this message. In any event, I proceeded with the box unchecked and rebooted my computer.

On boot, the System Configuration Utility appears and asks me if I want to boot as Normal Startup or Selective Startup. If I boot Selective Startup, the Pure Networks message does not appear and the box remains unchecked in msconfig. If I boot Normal Startup [load all device drivers and services], the Pure Networks message appears and the box is checked in msconfig.

So I end up trading one message for another. Either I get the Pure Networks message or I get the System Configuration Utility depending on whether I select Normal Startup or Selective Startup.

Some way or other I have to get the System Configuration Utility to recognize I am the Administrator and make the unchecked Pure Networks the Normal Startup. Alternatively, I have to get the Pure Networks entry out of the list of Services in the System Configuration Utility.

Ok, lets set it back to the way it was. Click start and then run. type services.msc In the box that opens find that pure networks and double click it. You can then set it to disabled from there.

Thanks,

Adam

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Adam: The last instruction fixed the problem. I have done three reboots and have not received a Pure Networks message. I was skeptical about using justanswer.com but am very pleased with the result. Thanks very much for your assistance. Ron