Russell H., Computer System
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

Graphics driver NLVDDMKM keeps failing and recovering. Tried

Customer Question

Graphics driver NLVDDMKM keeps failing and recovering. Tried upgrading to latest drivers for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 and error still recurs frequently. How can I fix this error? Cleaned registry using TuneUp Utilities 2009, didn't help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.

Please try the following and let me know:

1 Uninstall the display driver and restart computer.
2 When it starts again, use the following steps to disable startup items:

Click windows icon
Type msconfig in the Search bar and press Enter
Click on the Startup tab
Click Disable All
Click Services tab
Click on the checkbox Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable All
Click Apply and Close

Restart the computer.

When it starts again, reinstall the driver for graphics card.

Restart once more.

Let me know the results

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nice try. But the driver NVLDDMKM still keeps failing and recovering. This happens when playing "World of Warcraft". More often if I have all graphics options turned up. It didn't use to happen at all. It feels like when the 2Gig of memory fills up with textures the driver starts failing. It happens more often the longer I try to play. I've seen lots of on-line blogs complaining about the same problem, with people trying different fixes and none seem to work for long.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 years ago.
Interesting problem. I haven't worked with World of Warcraft much. However, if all else is inobvious, it can help with an intermittent failure problem, to do a general scan for adware / spyware / malware / viruses. I can recommend these utilities, all free of charges, with no costs, and without drawbacks:

1. Go to www.spybot.com, download Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6, install it, update it fully, run a complete scan, and tell it to Fix whatever it finds wrong.

2. Go to
http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products/personal/CWShredder/
and download by clicking the icon to ""Remove CoolWebSearch" (saving it to e.g. the Desktop, where it will be easy to find). Run CWShredder by double-clicking on its paper-shredder icon, agree to the license, click Scan Only, watch as the results scroll up... if all entries say "Not present", then nothing of the sort is present... but if one IS found, choose Fix on this scan or the next scan (if the next scan, start the scan with the Fix button instead of the Scan Only button.)

3. Go to
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
and download Stinger at the link next to the number 1. , below the question "How do I use Stinger?" Save to a location where it will be easy to find its orange and yellow square icon:
Stinger Icon
and double-click on it to start it. Configure it in its Properties to scan boot sectors (as well as all the other things), select scan area (probably just C:\ would do), and start scan. It may find nothing, but if it finds anything, that's cause for concern.

If this answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.) And, favorable feedback is appreciated.
(If this answer is still in any way inadequate, just ask for the further details and I will try to get the right and complete answer to you.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Scanning for virus or spyware doesn't work. I've already used McAfee and Spybot and found no problems. Graphics driver keeps "failing and recovering", but not recovering very well. Once it starts failing, browser windows also start filling with snow and are unreadable.
Try setting Graphics Acceleration lower...
The first thing to do is to look in your
Start - Control Panel - Display - Settings tab - Advanced button, ... Adapter tab (report to me as to what Adapter maker & model is listed there) ...or the Monitor tab (report to me what Refresh Rate (in Hz) is set there and what values it can be changed to)... or the Troubleshoot tab, and try changing the slider to a setting farther to the left or all the way to the left then OK and OK to save the changed setting (and see whether it helps)... this last is most likely to help of any one thing you can change.
Try changing setting and also report back to me what data you find, please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for trying, but hte problem turned out to be a short on the motherboard, and the PC stopped working entirely. I do appreciate your efforts.
Thanks for letting me know how it turned out.

As usual: if my efforts seem to have been worth it, clicking once on Accept for my Answer will see that I am paid.
And if my efforts were not that much of use, then I can signal to suggest that this call be closed without charge.
Either way, thanks.