Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

i dont know the password on my computer how can i get it to

i dont know the password XXXXX my computer how can i get it to work again?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

you may change the password XXXXX any other account with administrator priviledges

go to control panel user accounts select the account and change password XXXXX

if there are no other accounts with admin rights on the computer.

boot it into safe mode by hitting the F8 key repeatedly as it restarts. it may take a couple of tries before it catches. you will get a black screen with startup options. select safe mode using the arrow keys and the enter button

there will be an additional account on your list of accounts named Administrator

by default there is no password XXXXX it.

log in and follow instructions above for resetting password. control panel / user accounts / select account / change password

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the computer is not doing anything i pressed the f8 several times but nothing it still wants the user name and password
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

you must hit the RESTART

and keep tapping F8 AS THE COMPUTER FIRST STARTS RUNNING

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok now it went to windows advanced options menu
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

yes choose SAFE MODE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i went in and changed my password XXXXX will not let me get out computer will keep asking if i want to change my password XXXXX i am still in safe mode
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i went in and changed my password XXXXX will not let me get out computer will keep asking if i want to change my password XXXXX i am still in safe mode what does 1 quest. deposit made mean do i have to pay more money?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

SAY YES YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE PASSWORD. since you dont know the current one you want to change it to something you do know.

i am lost. you changed the password XXXXX your OTHER account using the administrator account

then you go to shut down and restart and it wants to change your new password ?

PLEASE TELL ME EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE IN THE INSTRUCTIONS I GAVE YOU

you should have logged into administrator under safe mode

go to control panel

select user accounts

select the original account you normally use that you couldnt get into

select change password.

put in a new password. you need to put it in twice to make sure its correct.

hit apply and ok

hit start and turn off computer

select restart

let it resart in normal mode

use the new password XXXXX get into your old account.

WHERE IN THAT SET OF INSTRUCTIONS DID YOU GET STUCK

Edited by robert on 12/9/2009 at 12:06 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok i chaned the password XXXXX on the bottom computer does not give an option to apply or ok it asks if i want to change the password XXXXX cancel

Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

YES YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE PASSWORD

that was the goal to change the password XXXXX that you can get into the old account with a new password XXXXX you will remember

click change password

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i already did 4 times
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

i have totally gotten lost

YOU NEED TO GIVE ME RESPONSES THAT EXPLAIN EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE DONE AND WHAT HAS HAPPENED.

if you said yes change the password XXXXX should have changed it. close the window and restart the computer and see if it did.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am so sorry, i restarted it now my user name does not work with my password
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am so sorry, i restarted it now my user name does not work with my password.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

This is a very simple thing to do.

try doing it again. F8 for safe mode

log in as administrator

go to control panel

user accounts

just create a new account with no password

restart and log into that

Edited by robert on 12/9/2009 at 12:43 AM EST
Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi i dont know who i am talking to now , so is someone still there?