Adam Lowrance
Adam Lowrance, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10 plus years of work experience with Windows, networking, pc and laptop hardware, MS Office
26447752

My canon mx310 printer alarm is flashing and I am getting a

My canon mx310 printer alarm is flashing and I am getting a 5800 code? Please advise
Category: Computer
Expert:  Adam Lowrance replied 4 years ago.
Error 5800 means the waste ink absorber is full. what is the exact model, is it a pixma or what?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It just says mx310 can I replace the ink absorber?

The waste ink error is based upon time instead of actual volume in the tank. You can reset the counter by the instructions below.

Waste Ink Counter Reset.
(1) Turn off the printer.
(2) Press and hold the STOP/RESET button, then press and hold the POWER button.
(3) Release the STOP/RESET button, Next press and release the STOP/RESET button two(2) more times in
succession. Note: you are still holding the POWER button). The printer's carriage will "reset"
or move momentarily. If the above was properly performed the printer will enter the
"Service Mode".
(4) Press the STOP/RESET button 4 times, this will select the clear waste ink counter function. The lamp
will alternate (change) color with each key press.
1. Service/Factory test printout, including ink sensor check.
2. EEPROM - Info printout.
3. EEPROM - Initialization.
4. Reset the Waste ink counter.
5. Printer model setting. (More selections beyond this point - However it is best leave them unaltered - You have been warned!)
After selecting the desired mode (eg 4), press the POWER button to "set" the change, and return to the top of the function selection menu. Press the POWER button again to restart the printer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks but its now stuck in the service mode?
click the power button twice
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i did but now the power has turned off
Tap the power button again and see what it says when it comes back on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did that now I am back to where I started alarm light blinking and it says check printer?
same 5800 error?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, I went through the reset one more time now it says service mode idle?
go ahead and hit the power button a few seconds apart till the machine goes off all the way and comes back on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did that still the same as before alarm light flashing check printer 5800 code?
Doing some more looking, is it possible it might be a error 5B00 instead of 5800?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You know it does kind of look like a B

That is a different error. I found that one on Canon's website. Below is exactly what canon says.

Issue: ERROR LCD: Error Code 5B00

Solution: The MX310 may require repair

Unfortunately, the issue you describe seems to indicate that your product requires repair service. Canon has excellent service options and we are eager to provide any assistance you may need. Click the link below to locate an authorized service facility and obtain further instructions.

Find a Service Location

If you still have questions about the issue you are experiencing, a Technical Support Representative will be happy to answer any question you may have. You can contact us through the email link or phone numbers listed below.

• Obtain Support by Email

• For toll-free technical support*, please call 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) during regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time, excluding holidays).

* There will be a pay for support charge if your product is out of warranty (see next section, below).

• Toll-free TDD Support Line for the Hearing Impaired is available Monday - Friday (excluding holidays) at 1-866-251-3752

• Technical Support is available for Customers in Canada at 1-800-OK-CANON

If your printer is no longer under warranty :

*Pay for support is required on all units outside their original warranty, unless covered by a Canon Extended Service Plan. If it is determined that there is a hardware failure, you have the option to purchase a new or refurbished product from our current product line, which includes units with Canon?s new ChromaLife inks, PIXMA Technology, a limited manufacturer?s warranty, free next business day shipping and discounted pricing. If you elect to take this option, the pay for support charge will be canceled.

So we may better assist you, please make sure that you can access your Canon product and have the following information available when you call:

• Product model name and serial number.
  • Computer's operating system; for example Windows XP.
  • Message displayed when the problem occurred.
  • Steps you've already done to try to solve the problem.

We look forward to helping you rectify the issue you are experiencing and are always available to provide any assistance you may need.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much for all your help I really appreciate it. Happy Holidays
No Problem, If I have answered your question to your satisfaction please click ACCEPT so I can receive credit for my work. Thank you. Laughing
Experience: 10 plus years of work experience with Windows, networking, pc and laptop hardware, MS Office