Scott L
Scott L, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience with PC hardware and software. Currently own and operate PC Service.
15046804

My keyboard is beeping constantly and will not type letters

Customer Question

My keyboard is beeping constantly and will not type letters properly. Is there a button that got pushed accidentally?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Scott L replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for coming to Just Answer for your support question.

I will be happy to assist you.

This is normally caused by a stuck button

First I would recommend just checking each key on the keyboard by pushing it and you would be able to feel a stuck key

If you are unable to locate a stuck key then disconnect the keyboard from the computer

You indicated that you changed the batteries so I assume this is a wireless keyboard - to disconnect the keyboard from the computer unplug the receiver from the computer

If the noise stops when you do this then it is definitely a stuck key

It could also be a stuck or damaged pad that is under the physical key that you press on the keyboard

Something could have also gotten under the keys and is stuck between the key and the pad underneath

If you are unable to locate a stuck key by pressing the keys it will require that you remove keys from the keyboard to remove debris if anything has gotten under the keys.

If you do end up pulling keys make sure you remember where they go when you put them back

I always take a picture of the keyboard before I begin removing keys

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked all of the keys and none are stuck. I also disconnected the keyboard from the computer by unplugging the receiver and the keyboard is still beeeping
Expert:  Scott L replied 7 years ago.
So the beeping noise is actually coming from the keyboard??

What is the Brand/Model of the keyboard?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
From the keyboard itself. The brand is the logitech mx 3200. I had computer issues and was just able to get back online, sorry!
Expert:  Scott L replied 7 years ago.
Try pressing the FN+pic key. The FN key is beside the ALT key and the pic key is above the X key on the left side of the keyboard layout near the dynamic search and zoom

Please let me know if this resolves the issue or you need further assistance.

Edited by Scott L on 12/1/2009 at 12:36 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

HI Scott-

I am sorry that I didn't reply yesterday, I had to go in to work. I am at work today but will try your suggestion this evening and let you know what happens.

Expert:  Scott L replied 7 years ago.
ok that is fine I will be here when you get home.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Didn't work. The beep is like a two part beep that is constant. Almost sounds like an alarm of some sort.
Expert:  Scott L replied 7 years ago.
Let's do a reset on the keyboard
The process below will cause any settings in the keyboard to be removed and everything will be set to default
Remove the batteries from the keyboard and press keys on the keyboard repeatedly, like your typing for approximately two minutes. This will clear out the capacitors.
Press the Connect button on the receiver.
Press the Connect button on the mouse, you may need something small like a toothpick to press the connect button.
Insert the batteries back into the keyboard.
Press the Connect button on the keyboard.
If the keyboard still beeps after going through this process I would recommend trying it again to make sure the capacitor has drained completely. You could also just place something on the keyboard that pushes the keys down and leave it there for like 5 minutes to be sure it has drained.
If doing this does not resolve the beeping noise I am afraid there is something more serious wrong with the keyboard