Mike D.
Mike D., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 12 years of professional computer support experience.
26730344

My Canon Pixma MP240 printer is not feeding paper in correctly

Customer Question

My Canon Pixma MP240 printer is not feeding paper in correctly - when a sheet loads it pulls to one side and jams for no apparent reason. There's no other jam.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mike D. replied 5 years ago.
First, try this:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Issue: Paper feeds skewed

Solution: Cleaning the paper feed rollers on the MP240 / MP250

Cleaning the Paper Feed Roller

If the Paper Feed Roller is dirty or paper powder is attached to it, paper may not be fed properly.

In this case, clean the Paper Feed Roller. Cleaning will wear out the Paper Feed Roller, so perform this only when necessary.

You need to prepare: three sheets of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper

1. Make sure that the power is turned on, and remove any paper from the Rear Tray.

1. Clean the Paper Feed Roller.

(1) Press the (Maintenance) button repeatedly until b appears.

figure:LED

(2) Press the Black or Color button.

The Paper Feed Roller will rotate as it is cleaned.

1. Make sure that the Paper Feed Roller stops rotating, and load three sheets of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper in the Rear Tray.

1. Open the Paper Output Tray gently, and open the Output Tray Extension.

1. Repeat the procedure in step 2 again.

The paper is ejected after cleaning.

If the problem is not resolved after cleaning the Paper Feed Roller (A) as described above, turn off the power, unplug the power cord, then wipe the Paper Feed Roller located in the center inside the Rear Tray with a moistened cotton swab or the like. Rotate the roller manually in the direction of the arrow (B) as you clean it. Do not touch the roller with your fingers; rotate it with the cotton swab.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately neither is working. The roller still pinches the paper and pulls it over to one side (the right, looking towards the printer from the front) and doesn't feed through more than an inch before coming back with an "E" on the display. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Mike D. replied 5 years ago.
TRy this:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Issue: Paper feeds skewed

Cleaning the Paper Feed Roller

1. Clean the Paper Feed Roller.

figure:LED

(2) Press the Black or Color button.

The paper is ejected after cleaning.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is the same suggestion as last time. We have tried both methods and have had no luck. Any further ideas?

Expert:  Mike D. replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about that. Here you go:

*************************************

Issue: Paper feeds skewed

Solution: Remove foreign objects from Rear Tray MP240 / MP250

Remove foreign objects from Rear Tray

When printing, if there is any foreign material (such as a piece of metal or a pencil) in the printer, the printer my be damaged. If there is any foreign material, remove it at once. Follow these instructions to remove foreign objects from the Rear Tray.

1. Power the printer off.

2. Open the paper support and confirm that there is not any foreign material in the auto sheet feeder. (If there is any foreign material, remove it by hand or with tweezers.)

3. Open the scanning unit (printer cover) and confirm that there is not any foreign material in the printer. (If there is any foreign material, remove it by hand or with tweezers.)

Note : After confirming that the scanning unit support < 1 > is fixed into position, release your hands.

Caution: To prevent injury or damaging the unit, avoid touching the inner parts.

4. Close the scanning unit (printer cover).

Caution: Be careful not to pinch fingers when closing the cover.

5. Power the printer on and confirm that the printer operates normally.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks - no problem about the mistaken double-sending of the same suggestion! There's no foreign material stuck in the printer that I can see.
Expert:  Mike D. replied 5 years ago.
Make sure the paper is flat with no bent edges. If you you have a new, sealed pack of paper, try some from there.

If these suggestions don't help, you may contact Canon directly via this web form:

https://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=SuprtKnowledgeBaseAct&fcategoryid=105&modelid=17161

When contacting them, let them know that you already cleaned the rollers and checked for forign objects.

Expert:  Mike D. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

If my answer has helped, I would really appreciate if you would click on the ACCEPT button so that I may receive credit for this problem.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Mike D., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 12 years of professional computer support experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your help - it hasn't sorted the problem but I appreciate your efforts.
Expert:  Mike D. replied 5 years ago.
Thank You!!