Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft
Experience:  approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design
5195814

My Toshiba laptop wont connect to the internet wirelessly.

Customer Question

My Toshiba laptop won't connect to the internet wirelessly. When I connect it by cable to the router it works fine. I also have a netbook - that connects wirelessly.
Can you help please.

John Clapton XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Hi John,

Can you tell us what operating system is on your laptop?

Can you also tell us what happens when you try to connect to your wireless, Does it show connected or does it refuse to connect?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It's Windows Vista Home Premium.

Actually, I've got it working now. I connected the laptop by cable to the netbook (which works ok) and it connected to the net. Then I disconnected the cable and it launched. This has been an intermittent problem for a while now so any guidance would be appreciated.

rgds

Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

When this happens does the machine just fail to connect or does it loose connection after a little time?

Also what type of internet router do you have, do you use a password XXXXX connect and how many neighbours do you have?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It just dosn't connect.

The router is a Siemens gigaset SE587 WLAN dsl.

No password XXXXX connect.

Neighbours? 1 house either side.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

The reason I asked about neighbors is that other peoples connections can interfere if you have a lot of neighbors, however you sound like you are fine.

Can you tell me the exact model number of your toshiba so we can check to see if there is a new wireless driver for your machine.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It's an EQUIUM A200-1V0.

I swapped the phone filters and cables as advised by my service provider (Tiscali) and that seems to have fixed it, however, its an intermittent fault so lets see.......

rgds

Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

If you have any more issues with it just let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Claws224,

The problem has returned once I shut down and restarted. Can only connect by plugging in the cable to the router, The problem seems to be with the Toshiba laptop as the Medion notebook connects first time.

rgds

Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It just fails to connect.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

Can you click Start then Control Panel and open the Network and Sharing Center under Manage Wireless Networks:

When it opens can you right click your wireless network then choose remove and then close the open windows then reboot the machine and once it is back up can you try connecting again by clicking start then connect to and letting me know what happens

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Eric,

I did that, a box opened up saying "connect to a network, select a network to connect to, TiscaliF2141F security enabled network, set up a connection or network" etc

Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

do you know what your wireless network is called?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Do you mean the internet provider? Thats Tiscali.

thanks

Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

When you connect to your wireless network do you know the name of the network or is it called TiscaliF2141F?

Let me know

Thanks