Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My acer extensa 4420 wont power up. I have tried removing

Customer Question

My acer extensa 4420 won't power up. I have tried removing battery and holding down on/off button to reset but nothing. Tried using battery only, tried using power cord only. Computer was working fine a few days ago, but I have had this problem before, this time nothing is working. The light goes on for a few seconds, flickers, goes back on and then goes off.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi !! Please answer all these questions 1 to 3 point by point.

1. When you press the power button to turn it on, do you see any thing on screen, like the Acer boot up screen or something like that. Or is it completely blank (black color) always.

2. Can you see a faint image of your desktop (try to see it in dark place with flash light). This is important to confirm.

3. Also, when you press power button, do you see the LED lights on laptop blinking or solid green (which ones are in blinking/solid) and do hear any sound ? Or do you feel that your laptop doesnt even try to boot.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1. Screen stays completely dark when I press power button
2. No, I cannot see anything when I turn the coputer on
3. Laptop tries to boot, DVD drive lights up and makes noise, battery and/or power lights go on. Yes it is trying but not very hard.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for the information.

Please do the following carefully and let me know result :
1. Shutdown and Unplug your laptop.
2. Remove the battery from the laptop.
3. Wait 2-3 minutes
4. Now press ON (power button on laptop) for 1 minute
5. Then release the finger and wait one more minute.
6. Now plug in the power cable (dont insert battery yet) and press ON button.
7. Did your screen start working now ? (do you see windows loading)

Let me know how it goes. Do you see any change in LEDs on/blinking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it did not help, please let me know instead of leaving a Negative Feedback.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already found this solution online. Although it has worked in the past, it is not working this time.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi !!

Right now are you using a laptop or desktop to talk to me ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm on a macbook
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi !!

What we just did is, we drained all charge from your motherboard. But it still didnt work.

Now you can check these things :
1. Try re-inserting the RAM (memory modules) - do this first. Ram is located on back of laptop under a lid and you will have to open couple screws to reach it.
2. Bios battery. It is a button type battery located on the motherboard inside your laptop. Replace it with new one.
3. Only the screen has failed. You can verify this by using another monitor with this computer. If laptop works with external monitor then you need to get the display repaired.

If this doesnt work out than its possible that the BIOS has got corrupted. You should get it flashed by taking it to some repair shop.

If this doesnt work, than your motherboard or ram (and maybe display too) is damaged. You need to get it repaired or replaced. I would suggest you to take quotes from few places because sometimes replacement is cheaper than repair.

If its under warranty, contact Acer customer support for free repair.

In anycase do not spend more than $200 in getting it repaired because it will be a better investment to buy new laptop as computer prices are at all time low.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, I'm not sure if I'm comfortable unscrewing things but I may try. It is not under warranty, I have read online that it is a motherboard problem. I'll log back in if I'm able to re-insert RAM and it works.
Thanks for your efforts!
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

You are most welcome. Take care