Ryan H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Certified Technician - 10 Years experience working with all types of computer systems.

how do I reformat my HP mini 110 netbook

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

When you turn on the computer, press F11 until a menu appears for recovery. This will allow you to format your computer back to factory defaults.

Let me know if you have any other questions, otherwise please click ACCEPT.

Thanks and good luck!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This does not work with this model computer I tried that first. It runs on windows XP. It does not have a disk drive so there were no disks that came with it.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.
What model Mini 110 do you have? for example Mini(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
mini110 1012NR
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.
Does the computer boot up? Or what is the problem with the laptop?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
nothing is wrong with it. It is almost new. I just want to reset it to the original configuration so that I can give it away. I want to make sure it is like it was when i bought it.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.
Oh, ok. Lets try this then:
  1. Click Start , click All Programs , select System Recovery , and click PC Recovery .
  2. When the recovery options are presented, select the option to perform the PC Recovery and click Next .
  3. The PC will restart.
  4. When the Welcome to PC Recovery message displays, click OK to continue.
  5. On the System Recovery panel, select System Recovery . By default, the system will perform a complete reformat and will destroy all user data.
  6. Restart the PC when it asks you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry this is not working either. On this system there is way to use the system recovery. When I go into that screen, it will allow me to set a date to back up to but it will not allow me to restore manufactures settings. I know I sound crazy, but really, I am fairly computer literate and this is not working. I don' t know that it can be reset.

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately HP (stupidly) did not include a recovery partition on these models, like all other computers without CD drives. What you need to do to restore it back to normal would be to call HP and complain about the lack of recovery partition and that you want recovery disks for free. Once you recieve the disks you will need to hook up an external CD drive and use the recovery disks.

Unfortunately, small decisions made by HP affect end users in negative ways.

Best of luck to you,