Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Diploma in Hardware
13934950

The cursor on my laptop disappeared. The screen is frozen.

The cursor on my laptop disappeared. The screen is frozen. I pressed the windows key and nothing happened. Also, I pressed ctrl, alt and delete..... still nothing happened.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.

Please try to press and hold the power button for few seconds to turn off the system.

Wait for 2 minutes

Turn it on and let me know if it able to start windows

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok... I did that but when the computer came back on, I still had no cursor.
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Let me know the make/ model number of the laptop

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is a Compaq Presario 931NR
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Are you able to use your keyboard now (try to press Ctrl + Alt + Del ) and let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Let me check....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok.... It is barely moving.
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Next, turn off the system again.

1 Disconnect the battery and the charger
2 Let it sit for 1-2 minutes.
3 Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds.
4 Connect the charger (don't connect the battery yet) and try to start by pressing the power button.

Let me know the results

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Take the battery out of the computer?
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Yes, try to start the system with only the charger (without battery) and let me know if you notice same problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have the computer attached to only the charger. It's about the same.
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Next restart the system and repeatedly tap F8 key (you need to press F8 before windows starts to load)

A menu should appear.

Select Safe Mode and press Enter

Let me know if you notice the same problem while in safe mode

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The menu came and went before I could press Safe Mode. The icon (circle that appears to be turning) next to 'windows' keeps going around.
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Turn off the system and then turn it back on. Repeatedly tap F8 key to bring the menu

Select Safe Mode and press Enter

Let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. I did that, now what?
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Is it able to start in safe mode and do you notice the same problem with cursor (while in safe mode) ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, I can start in safe mode. Do I have to keep it there? My security center is not supported. The cursor is ok.
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Once in safe mode,

Click Start (windows icon)
Type msconfig in the Search bar and press Enter
Click on the Startup tab
Click Disable All

Click Apply and Close

Restart the computer and allow it to start normally.

Let me know the results

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did it. What do I do with the battery?

Also, when in internet explorer a Script Error is coming up.

A error have occured in the script on this page
line 43
Char 12
Error Library not resistered
Code 0
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
The next step will be to:

1 Turn off the system (normally shutdown from windows icon)
2 Disconnect charger
3 Reconnect battery and charger
4 Turn on the system
5 If you do not notice any problem with cursor then open Internet Explorer

Click Tools > Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset. Then click Reset again.
When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.

Start Internet Explorer again and let me know the results.

Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Diploma in Hardware