Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Diploma in Hardware
13934950

Blue screen of death on a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. Weve

Blue screen of death on a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. We've had this before and I managed to fix it but can't remember how!! Can anyone tell me how I can bring it back to life? I have th original CD but I can't seem to get it into safe mode... :(
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.

Do you get any error code like STOP: followed by a number when you start the system ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Yes. It's 0x0000007e ( 0xc0000005,0x80536923,...) lots more of the same. Does that help? Thanks
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key (you need to press F8 before windows starts to load)

A menu should appear. Select Safe Mode and press Enter

Let me know if it able to start in safe mode or you get the same error messege

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Done. Got as far as select XP (that's the operating system we have)

Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Select XP and press Enter.

It may take some time to start in Safe Mode.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has got as far as multi(0)diskrdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys It has done this before and seems to get stuck (2-3 minutes or more.) How long should it take to get through this part?(Sorry I know I'm impatient - but I'm worried about a project my partner has on the computer..!)
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
It may take upto 5 to 10 minutes.

If it seems to stuck there let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still stuck on the same point.. should I wait a while longer??Undecided
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Next turn off the system (press and hold the power button for a few seconds)

1 Disconnect the battery and the charger
2 Let it sit for 1-2 minutes.
3 Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds.
4 Connect battery and charger and turn it on

Let me know if everything remain same.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

same .... \mup.sys spot as before I'm afraid!Cry

Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Next, you can try to repair Windows XP using the following steps:

1 Start the computer from Windows XP installation disc.

For that you need to make sure that the CD drive is selected as the first boot device.

You can set that by going into BIOS setup by pressing F2 OR
press F12 during system startup and select CD drive from the boot options

2 You will get the following messege

Press any key to boot from CD....

Press Enter here

3 The Windows XP installation process will start

4 On the Welcome to Setup page, press Enter (To setup Windows XP now). Do not press R here as it will start the recovery console.

5 Accept the license agreement by pressing F8

6 The setup will be able to find your Windows Installation and will give you the option to repair the same

7 Press R now to repair

8 Follow the rest of the onscreen prompts

The following link will provide a step by step guide

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

Let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Done but says it has already attempted to upgrade XP. Where to now??

Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Did you get any option to repair the existing Windows Installation ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It says:

Setup has already attempted to upgrade the following installation.

C:\Windows "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

Setup will try to complete the upgrade again.

• To retry upgrading to windows XP, press enter
  • To continue installing a fresh copy of Win XP without repairing, press ESC.
  • To quit Setup, press F3

I'm lost in all this..Embarassed

Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Press Enter here and let me know if you get any error messege this time

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think I'm going in cirles here. It seems to be going back to 'setup is copying files'

' 0%, 1% .... ' and so on...

???

Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any important files in the system ?

If not, most Dell systems can be restored to factory settings by pressing Ctrl + F11 during startup.

If the hidden recovery partition is intact, it will start the recovery procedure.

Let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's now gone to some screen with 'Try the easiest Windows yet' (changing as mins go by.... e.g. Easily move documents .... etc...)

Left side of screen says ' setup will complete in approx 37 minutes' Followed by 'Insatlling Devices'

Does this mean the laptop will go back to its normal setting or has all the info been lost????

Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
I think it is reparing existing windows installation.

Wait for the process to complete. If it able to repair windows installation, it will retain your documents and files.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A smalll grey box appeared saying ' The file 'igfzoom.exe' on intel grapics media is needed. type the path ... then click ok. What should i do?
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any driver CD for this system ? If yes then insert the disc and press Enter.

If not, try to skip copying of this file (press Esc)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did both. the grey box reappears.
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Take out the driver CD and insert windows XP disc, press Enter

In the next screen, if you get any option to Skip the file let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
got as far aas 'stay up to date' with the xp cd inside. Small box with 'Copy Error' for a file called 'bluehill.ip' appears. It says click to retry or click cancel'
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Click Retry once. If the messege appears again select Cancel.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've done that but now I'm getting the same message for lots of other files, one after the other.

Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Some critical system files are probably missing.

Click Cancel for all messeges

When the setup completes it will restart the system automatically.

Let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All seems to be back to normal (whatever that is!) Thanks SOOO much. Really appreciate your patience with a non-computer person!!Embarassed WELL DONE!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Glad to hear that.

Please let me know if you need further assistance with this issue.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Last question I hope. there is a small 'x' in a red circle in the 'in-tray'. It says 'Warning . you have exceeded your profile space by(NNN) NNN-NNNNb. no idea what it mens. Could this be the source of the BSOD?
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
First run disk cleanup :

Open My Computer, right click on C drive and click Properties

Click Disk CleanUp

Click Ok

Next, try to move any files saved on your desktop.

If you save a file on the desktop, it goes into your profile, so you should save it somewhere else and delete it from your desktop.

Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Diploma in Hardware
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thaks a million. I'll do that.
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Regards