John, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  CISSP Cert, 10 yr netwrk experience, 5 years in mgmt. Trained in Cisco ICND, Project Mgmt, Microsoft
13050298

My computer with Windows 7 does not recognize the router attached.

My computer with Windows 7 does not recognize the router attached. It recognizes a network but not the router and the network of the router. All diagnostics say no problem with the network.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

I have received your question regarding your router.

I need some additional clarification on the issue you are having.

Could you please explain what you mean that Windows 7 doesn't recognize the router?

Are you not able to get on the Internet?

What is the model of the router?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As you know, there is a website for each router type. Until I purchased a netgear, I could not get on the internet with my HP Touchsmart Computer. Now with a netgear G router it will allow me to get on the internet but not to create a secure connection. When I use either my Belkin or other router, it recognizes no connection, and will not allow me to go into the router and correct or change or gain an access point. I have access to the computer through my netgear, but I have no software or internet way to connect to the router. My current router netgear WGR614v9
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

At this point, you only have the Netgear connected, correct?

Please click on Start, Run, and type in "CMD" (without the quotes)

Type in "ipconfig" and press enter

One of the lines should say "Default Gateway"

Copy this IP address down, then go into your web browser and type it in.

FOR EXAMPLE:

My output is from IPCONFIG is:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.100.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.100.1

So in Internet Explorer, to manage my router, I go to the website:

http://10.10.100.1

Please let me know if you have any questions on this.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In windows 7 i cannot find start run. If you press start there is no place to hit run and then to IPCONFIG. Sorry.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Try this, type in CMD into the search box and then press enter.

Here is a screenshot:

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All I get is users/Robertquinn
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

OK good

Now type in "IPCONFIG" (without quotes)

and press Enter

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i DID, AND GOT 10.0.0.1 AND WHEN I ENTERED IT REQUEST AN ID. I CAN'T FIGURE WHAT I SHOULD TYPE IN AT THAT POINT.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Please enter the following information for these fields:

Username: admin

Password: password

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This allows me to get to the router site. Going through the questions I usedCustomeras my host name, no domain name (left blank) and it takes me to the apply, test cancel page, but then somehow this closed off the internet and no response. The last page referenced contacting netgear or some book. I do appreciate all your efforts but I still have an unprotected connection.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Just so I am clear on the question, you are attempting to turn this into a secured wireless connection, correct?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. What happens is in my list of wireless cites, it shows up as Netgear and notes it is unsecured. Normally when setting up my network I named the network and it was recognized. What happens here it almost seems my computer is seeing the router for its signal rather than controlling the router, if that makes any sense.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

To do this on the router:

Select Wireless Settings under Setup in the main menu. Choose "WEP"

graphic

Then we'll need to change the security settings for the WEP:

graphic

Please change encryption strength to 128-bit.

In the Key1 field, enter in a 26 character password.

**This is the password XXXXX computers will use to connect to the wireless network**

**Also remember the password XXXXX only contain numbers 0 thru 9 and letters a thru f.

Click Apply.

Your wireless connection is now secure.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I get to the security setting my choices do not include open system just automatic or shared key.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Shared is fine as well.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After entering the code, I was denied complete access to router, and could not connect my laptop either. I received the message that Windows could not connect. In order to get back to the internet I reattached a second router, a Belkin, which allows me to connect to my laptop, but again, not to my Desk top. While the netgear showed all lights etc, it still is unsecured and unreachable through my desk top.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

After the wireless router is setup securely, you will need to disconnect your wireless router and re-connect to it. Otherwise, you will not get prompted for a wireless password.

• Choose Control Panel from the Start menu.

• Open the Control Panel's Network and Sharing Center.

• Click the Disconnect link

•  

graphic

After that is done you will need to re-connect to the wireless network.

Click on "Connect to a network"

graphic

Then double-click on your wireless network in the list:

graphic

You should receive a prompt like this to enter in the wireless password. This is the WEP key you defined earlier when you established security on the router.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    I am going to be tied up for most of the day, but will try this solution as soon as time permits. I really appreciate your efforts in helping me through this crazy problem
    Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the response.

Please keep me posted with any progress on this issue.

Thank you

John, Information Systems Manager
    Experience: CISSP Cert, 10 yr netwrk experience, 5 years in mgmt. Trained in Cisco ICND, Project Mgmt, Microsoft
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    I have tried this once, but it will not let me enter the wep code. I will try again as time permits.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    After a number of efforts, including rebooting all computers, and not even getting angry once I finally have both computers on the network and up and running securely. Thank you again for all your help.