Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft
Experience:  approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design
5195814

i dropped my external hard drive a wd passport 500gb. I am

Customer Question

i dropped my external hard drive a wd passport 500gb. I am trying to find a replacement caddy for it online not having much luck can u point me in the right direction.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Are you just looking for a generic external case for your drive or are you trying to find a replacement WD case?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have tried the generic cases but they do not fit the ports on the WD circuit board. I believe I may need a WD replacement case but I can not find it on the WD site and I can not go into a store. I am currently in Iraq. I would purchase a new one but I have essential documents on this external that I need to retrieve.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

If you grasp the drive and the circuit board and pull firmly the two should seperate and you will be left with the circuit board in one hand and a generic WD SATA hard drive in the other whose ports look like this

graphic

With the board removed do you have a set of connectors like this

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No it has 1 prong out to the left to the right of that is 12 more prongs (two rows of 6) there is the USB port to the right and another 2 prongs on the same row to the right of the USB port. on the sticker it states its an ATA Hard Drive dated 13 Sep 2009
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

Can you look at this video and watch around 34 seconds when the USB to SATA circuit board is removed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ0bgz3tyNk&feature=fvw

Let me know if your drive is the same, If so a standard SATA external enclosure or cable will work for you like this from Buy.com http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210912062&listingid=39754146

Or an enclosure like the Startech integrated USB2 http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=10746851&oext=1038A&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10746851

Let me know if your drive is different to the one in the video

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My external cuircuit board is different from what is in the video. there are gold prongs sticking out there was nothing to remove once I took it out of the casing.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

In that case can you tell me what the label says so Ican make sure which version you have so we can help find you the correct case.

Thanks

Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Does the drive look like this?

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No it does not look like the last picture either

At the top it has

WD5000BMVV-11A1CS0 WD5000BMVV

Drive parameters: LBA XXXXXXXXX 500GB

At the bottom it has

Serial ATA Hard Drive

R/N: 771675

Dated: 13 SEP 2009

DCM: HBCTJBBB

Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

In that case I am going to have to opt out as the first picture I sent you is a SATA drive and if yours does not have an external connector I do not have the slightest idea what drive is in your Passport.

I just took my 500GB Passport appart and it is just like the first one I posted after you remove the plastic cover then the wrap and unplug the USB adapter.

Just sit tight and another expert will be with you shortly

Thanks