Ryan H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Certified Technician - 10 Years experience working with all types of computer systems.

I have a HITACHI 1.0TB model HDT721010SLA360 that spins up

I have a HITACHI 1.0TB model HDT721010SLA360 that spins up then beeps and clicks but does not connect to the computer so I can read it. Is there anything I can do? Wife wants her picters. Thanks!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

If you press the Windows Key + R
Type in: diskmgmt.msc
Press Ok

Is the Hitachi showing there? Also, describe the sounds that your are hearing, Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No the drive does not appier there. The sound that the drive makes is BEEP click BEEP click BEEP click then it transitions to repetitve loud CLICK CLICK CLICK with an occational softer beep click speraticly throughn in.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, this means that the drive has failed. What you can try before shipping the drive off to data recovery specialists is buying an external case for the hard drive, take apart the current hard drive, out of its case and put it in the new case. The problem may be with the electronics that run the drive. Because the drive is clicking however, the drive itself may be ruined. If this is the case, your only hope for recovery is to send the drive away to be taken apart and analyed for data. These services are generally expensive. You can search Google for "Hard drive Recovery" and it will present a list of companies who may be able to recover the data.

Best of luck to you, and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How far into the drive do I have to dig to see if there is an easy fix. I am very mechanicaly inclined but not electronicaly. The most I have done is changed compasitors on a LCD TV.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.
Basically, when you open the drive, you may see a small electronic board for power, and then the drive. I just did this repair yesterday on a similar drive. The hard drive will be connected to a female sided connector, simply pull the drive from this connector and it should be free. Then you can insert the drive into another external enclosure and try to get it to run. If you changed capacitors on a LCD, this should be fairly easy for you.

(This is all assuming this is an external hard drive you have)