Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

How can I retrieve my recent chat activity from Windows live

Customer Question

How can I retrieve my recent chat activity from Windows live Messenger. I get them saved monthly but need to pull up a conversation that was made very recently. Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer. If you areusing the current version of Live Messenger and you are using the option to save your chat sessions, you should be able to access recent items from within Messenger. Go to the File Menu and choose view message history.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know that, I just ticked that box yesterday to save immediately my conversations. My problem is that in the past, I get monthly saved chat logs in a folder called my chat logs which open through firefox, I have all chats I did upto October, they get released monthly but I need to find November's ones, before that I had not ticked to save immediately....They were saved monthly. I need an early release of my November's month of chats.

Your current chat logs should be under the following folder:

My documents\My received Files\[msnid##########]\History

If you go to your "my documents" folder, and search it and subdirectories for "history" you should find the folder. The .xml file in there should open up with firefox just as your other chat logs do.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It doesnt accept it says that it cannot find what I have typed with my msnid, mistyped or got start and search

I'm not sure I understand your reply.

You should be in Explorer and searching for "history". I don't understand what you mean by "what I have typed with my msnid, mistyped or got start and search"

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now before yesterday I never used to save my conversations. Found though that I have a folder C:\Documents and Settings\home\My Documents\My Chat Logs which hold all my conversations monthly, I only have upto October,it updates every end of the month. What I need is this month's early retrievment of conversations from Windows Live Messenger. As for what you told me before, when I go to my

My documents\My received Files\[msnid##########]\History, I get this message: Windows cannot find My documents\My received Files\[msnid##########]\History. Check the spelling or try searching for the item by clicking by clicking the start button and then Search. All I need is this months early retrieve of conversations. I am using windows XP and am in explorer

I asked you to go to search and search for "history". Don't go anywhere, just search your c: drive for "history". The msnid in the directory is not taXXXXX XXXXXtterally - it would be your msnid followed by a string of numbers. But don't even worry about that. Open up explorer, click on the c drive and type history in the search box. That should find your history directory.

The Chat Logs directory is supposed to save all conversations only if you have that enabled, so for some reason, your computer thought that it was enabled prior to you changing it. Are you certain that you enabled it rather than disabling it?

In any case, search for history and see if that returns a result.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It only returns my chats that I had yesterday when I clicked on the save history box. My "chat log folder" though has monthly conversations in it, it updates every end of the month. It's too hard to find my recent chats though, I don't know how and why it saved them monthly, I found the folder yesterday and saw all the people I chatted to the last 3 months, each month is separated in a folder. Went to Search and history, it only gave me yesterdays conversations when I enabled save but not earlier chats from this month. Is it because it updates automatically or is there another way to find the conversations?
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.

There is not. The Chat Logs folder is the default location for MSN plus. If you want to access those, you should be using MSN Plus. The History folder is used by the basic MSN. If you've changed recently, it may have stopped logging to the Chat Logs folder.

If you want to find all of the chat logs on your computer, click on the c: drive and search for *.xml in the search box. This will bring up a lot of files, many of which are not chat logs, but it will also include all chat logs. Like I said, they should be in one of those two folders, but you can try this, too. There is really no way for the MSN messenger to wait untill the end of a month to save the chat logs, although it may start a new one each month.

Experience: 20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Found them...it took a while and sorry for the ordeal I put you through, very much appreciated ... Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuSmile
Thank you very much! I'm glad you found what you needed!