Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft
Experience:  approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design
5195814

I want to restore my eee pc xp to factory settings but I dont

I want to restore my eee pc xp to factory settings but I don't have a cd drive. how do I do this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Can you shut off the machine then wait 5 seconds and then power it back on and as soon as you let go of the power button can you press and hold down the ALT + F10 key and after the Acer logo has displayed your machine should boot into the hidden recovery partition so you can then perform a full reinstall.

Try that and let me know if you have any issues

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that didn't work either
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Did it let you into the restore partition?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nope. Just for reference, I have the eee pc 900 xp version, and it does not have a cd drive. I've tried pressing F2 at the Asus startup screen and I've tried pressing tab, but neither of these options does anything.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

When you held down the ALT and F10 keys then powered up the machine did it do anything differently or did it boot like normal?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It said, "windows did not start successfully" and gave me the options of using safe mode, etc.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Can you turn the machine off then unplug the power and pull the battery, Next press and hold the power button for 30 seconds then let go and put the battery back in and reconnect the power adapter.

Once that is done can you hold down the ALT and F10 keys then press tho power button and keep the buttons pressed till you either get to the restore partition or you get an error

Let me know what happens

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It said the same thing
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Will it boot into Safe Mode?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yea it will
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Can you try one more thing before we try safe mode, Can you shut it down then wait 5 seconds then power it up and as soon as you let go of the power button can you tap the F9 key and keep tapping till it opens to the restore program or to the safe mode menu

Let me know what happens

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
actually I lied, it won't boot into safe mode, and tapping F9 did nothing, it just booted windows like normal
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

So it will boot into full mode windows?

If so can you click start then programs and let me know if you see an Acer file?

If so can you tell me what it contains?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is an ASUS (it's all in caps on my start menu) option, and it says asus update for eee pc
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

In that case we are back to trying th F9 option, Can you try one last time to power off the machine then power it back up and this time can you hold down the F9 when you let go of the power button and let me know if the resore menu opens or not..

If not do you have a USB memory stick and a CD for the EEE PC ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope, it won't work, and I don't have a cd drive for my computer and it didn't come with one in the box and it doesn't have a usb with it either
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Can you take a look at this eee wiki article http://wiki.eeeuser.com/explain:f9_restore and let me know if you have ever seen the screen like the screenshot.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've seen it in youtube videos, but it's never been on my computer, that's the screen I've been trying to get to lol
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Well at this point all I can suggest would be to get a recovery drive of some sort, You can get USB recovery drives for your machine that areready setup from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Asus-eee-PC-eeePC-701-701SD-XP-CD-recovery-disk-USB_W0QQitemZ110454656320QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLaptops_Nov05?hash=item19b79c4d40

Take a look and let me know what you think

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, shoot. I guess I have to fork out some money.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Sorry that I could not help but if we cant get the restore partition to open and the restore application is not installed so we can launch it from Windows then a USB drive like the one I posted would be the easiest way.

The other option would be to get a cd and a usb drive and make your own recoery drive, however it will be cheaper to get a premade as a drive will cost you $20-$30 and the CD will probably cost $20 for shipping and handling.

Let me know if you need more info

Thanks

Experience: approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design