Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

Fatal Error c0000005 Windows XP Pro. SP3 and Latest IE (7

Customer Question

Fatal Error c0000005

Windows XP Pro. SP3 and Latest IE (7 or 8) was installed.
I have a laptop also that I am using if we need to use it as part of the solution.

I can still run in Safe Mode and have removed 99% of "Desktop Management Software" I was using to learn a little about Networking. Agent Program will not Uninstall. The Softeware Site recommends runing the following script to remove:

On Error Resume Next

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
agentVersion = WshShell.RegRead

("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\AdventNet\DesktopCentral\DCAgent\DCAge

ntVersion")
if Err Then
Err.Clear
Else
WshShell.Run "msiexec.exe /x{6AD2231F-FF48-4D59-AC26-

405AFAE23DB7} /q",0,True
End If

My Questions Are:
1) How do I run the script? I have Excel with VBA. That's the extent of programming knowledge and I am only learning the VBA, if that helps.

2) What is my next step if above does not help?

Thanks,
David Del Vecchio
Category: Computer
Expert:  Austin Atkins replied 4 years ago.

Hello 179653.

Can you please clarify your problem for me. At bootup, (if the computer makes it there) what is the error you are receiveing?

Did you install any software prior to this happening?

Thank you.

Austin

Hello 179553.

I've sent this. Please try to respond on this post.

Thank you.

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Austin, In reply to your questions: From:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX sign on:CustomerThe Error Message is: Stop: Stop c00002a {FATAL SYSTEM ERROR} The Windows Subsystem process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x coooooo5 (0x7 c9111de 0x340f96c) The System has shut down. Beginning Dump of Physical Memory: Dumping Physical Memory to Disk: ## XXXXX system then reboots and a second Blue Screen Appears that says: "A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer. A process thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. If this is first time you have seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation..." Thats all I can type before it Dumps and automatically reboots. I am using my Notebook (another PC I have) to repond to you. New Softeware: Desktop Management Software was uninstalled except for the "Agent Software" which requires running the script noted in my initial request. They say running the cript will eliminate the qagent software, but I don't know how to run the script. I can reboot in Safe Mode, however if I reboot in regular, the same error appears with a new address in parenthesis (e.g., (0x7c9111de 0x340f96c)) changes Its a Dell Desktop 8300 3.2 GH Pentium IV processor with Duel Threading. Please let me know if you have anothe question. Also, I can be reached at cell phone(NNN) NNN-NNNN Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX XXXXXXXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Thank you.

Please shut down your computer. Press the power button and immediately press the F8 key on and off until a menu appears. Choose Last known good configuration. Then see if the machine boots like that.

Please let me know if it makes it to the options screen (hope it does!).

Thank you.

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried that - exact same error message

Ok. Do you have an XP installation disk?

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes - I didi a install repair because I don't know how to partition the hard drive to install a new version, therfore, I would have to place both systems in the same partition.

The repair hung at the last minute. Shall we
1) do another repair
2) have you explain to me how to partition c: (I believe there will be plenty of room - if not I will delete some software I don't use)
and do a full re-install

PS- what about running the script to eliminate the remainder of the new software that was installed

Please let me know what to do.

Thanks,
David D.

First, I think we should scan the hard drive for errors.

Sorry for the delay. Please place the cd into the drive and reboot. Press any key when prompted to.

When you get to this screen (after the loading screen):

http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Pro%20Setup%20Graphic/CC.gif

Press R to enter the recovery console:

It will bring you to this screen. Press 1 to enter the windows installation:

http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winxp/advanced/registry01.gif

Just press enter if there is no administrative password XXXXX

Let me know if or when you get there.

Thank you.

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Austin,

I am back at the c:\windows> prompt.

Also, If I must leave for a few hours and return at about 3:00 PM will you be available?

I would like to get this completed by Monday Morning, but other than that I have no oter deadline since I still have my laptop.

Thanks,

Ok. Good. Now type the following and press enter:

chkdsk /f/r

There is a space after the chkdsk.

Also, if it is not happy with this command just try:

chkdsk /f

then press enter. This will scan the hard drive for errors. This can take longer than an hour. You don't have to watch it, but check in time to time and take note if it says its repairing something or if any other odd text shows up. Other than the usuall checking ....

Let me know how this goes. Thank you.

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
fixed several errors
total disk space 78075896 kb
available 29485928 kb

Ok. Now remove the disk from the computer:

Then type exit at the prompt. This will restart the computer. Then see if it boots.

Thanks.

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Same error

At this point I would recommend we either do a repair install or a complete reinstall. I generally recommend a complete reinstall, but we would lose your files. Since we don't want to do this, we should go with a repair install. This will leave all of your files and settings the way they are.

Unfortunately, the XP setup program can't slit the current hard drive into 2 partiitions to install a clean version on while having access to your original files. But if you have nothing of value on this computer, I would recommend wiping it clean (reformatting) and reinstalling.

Let me know what you'd like to do?

Thanks.

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Austin,

I have all the program disks to reinstall but there are several documents and spreadsheets would need to save. Is there a way to move some files to my laptop in safe mode. My guess is - I will need to purchase a bunch of rw CD's.

I don't think the Repair will work. I will try it - and if it does not. I'll back up tonight and get back to you tomorrow. If the repair works I'll get back to you today.

Again - I think your correct about the full install. Wy don't we just reformat the Hard Drive if we are going to loose the files. It's one of the best machines I could find (without a mortgage) in 2004. It is time to clean - up.

You will know if I'm going to back-up tonight. Someone is picking me up some CD's tonight.

I will let you know if the repair works, otherwise, I won't be able to complete, and accept (hopefuly) until tomorrow.

Thanks,
David D.

Please correct me If I'm wrong. The computer *does not* boot in safe mode rightf?

If it does boot in safe mode. We still have some options. Please let me know. Thank you.

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does boot in safe mode!

Ok. The only way (without manually copying files from the recovery console using commands) or installing the drive as a secondary in another desktop, would be to buy something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002&cm_re=sata_tousb-_-12-232-002-_-Product

Which I have and it works perfectly for desktop hard drives, laptop hard drives and SATA hard drives. This allows you to take the hard drive out and plug it into a usb port.

Do you have another desktop computer around?

Austin

Please ignore my previous post. I read that you *cannot boot* into safe mode.

Please acknowledge that you received this.

Thanks.
Ausin
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can boot into safe mode - I don't know if we will have the functionality we would require to transfer files.

I like the USB type back-up. Affordable too. Is it a danger to my laptop?

The laptop has an additional 40m megs on a secondary hard drive, can we run a cable in Safe Mode?

No other desktop.

I'm trying the repair -maybe with the Chkdsk it will work.
Good.

We most certainly can use a thumb drive or external hard drive to transfer files in safe mode. I do not believe that safe mode can burn a cd.

Do you have a thumbdrive? They are quite inexpensive. $10 for a 2 Gig one!

I think we should save your files, wipe it clean and give you a brand new computer!

Let me know if you can get a hold of a thumb drive. However, try this first.

While booted in safe mode. Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore. Choose to restore to an earlier time. Choose a date before this happened and click next. When ready the computer will boot normally. If this still does not work. Let me know and I would like to try something else. For both our sake!

Thanks.
Austin
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My current thumb drive is only 128 kb. I can't get to the store until tomorrow for something larger.I'll pick one up tomorrow if this new Reinstal/Repair (after the chkddsk) does not work.

There are no restore points because I already did a reinstal/repair from the CD before I called you guys.

I think we will get this done and you will keep your fix rating % up. Don't worry. If it takes another day that's my problem not yours.

I appreciate your helpfulness.

Thanks,

Certainly. I can assure you that the system will be fully functional after we complete the full reinstall.

Let me know when you have saved everything you want.

Also, while in safe mode, please try this. Click start, run. Type msconfig and press enter. Select the startup tab, choose disable all and click Ok and restart. Please try this when you get a chance.

Thank you.

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Austin,

I have a new problem which appears a direct result of the change in msconfig. I have no more ability to enter safe mode. We have passed my deadline date of Monday AM , therefore, I probably will not be available until this evening.

I am less than happy with results so far - please consult who ever you must but I would like something sbsolute by this evening 9:00 PM EASTERN usa.

I realize that you are not 100% responsible, I must accept 50%. I will need however, greater support.

Thank You,
David Del Vecchio

HelloCustomer

Nothing in the msconfig lineup is required for windows to run. Nothing changed there should have affected whether or not you can boot into safe mode. Our plan was to do a fresh install of XP correct?

What happens when you try to boot into safe mode? How far does it get or what happens?

I can opt out if you'd like. But our ability to enter safe mode should not have been affected at all. Please clarify what happens when you use the F8 key to enter safe mode?

Thank you.

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It si no longer giving me the option. After the sign-on the F=8 option would appear for ashort time on the bottom, now it is going directly to Fatal Error Blue Screen. I can't get my documents out. I bought a 4 gig USB drive.

Is this something we can fix.

Don't opt out yet. If we can get rhe docs out we can do the full install as planned.

Any ideas?

The hard drive can be taken out and placed as a secondary in another desktop, or it can be taken out and used with an adapter for the usb port as we mentioned earlier.

Either there is serious problems in the file system or some type of virus. Changing msconfig startup entries should have made no effect.

Would you like to attempt to place the hard drive an another desktop?

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Austin,

I don't have another desktop. No other way to get to safe mode?

How about a DOS transfer?

I won't be able to do anything until tomorrow or tonight then I would like to wrap this up one way or another.

Im a CPA not a computer tech - so I probably hit a bad key or misunderstood your instructions. I certainly would like to get some work-sheets out.

Certainly. Do you know where the majority of your files are located. Perhaps in the My Documents folder for example?

I belive we can go back to the days of Dos to get your files off.

Austin

Thank you.

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My documents mostly

Ok. You said you won't be able to do this until tomorrow?

Would you like to send a reply back when you are ready. Or I could send the instructions, then you could follow them at your convenience?

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Send me instructions. If I'm comfortable I'll do tonight then we can wrap quickly tomorrow and you can get your funds

I'll do my best in preparing the instructions and commands. There is lots of room for missing just one character and the command prompt won't be happy.

I'll try to get it perfectly setup for you the first time.

Thanks.

Austin

HelloCustomer

There is one small issue with this. That is we cannot use the recovery console to access the My Documents folder. The recovery console does not permit it. Here is what we'll do. Clearly the registy is corrupt on the system. We will use the commands to manually copy the backup registry files into the correct system folder. Hopefully, this will allow you to boot at least into safe mode. Then we can copy file over.

Please see the following microsoft site: Follow the instructions exactly from "Manual steps to recover a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting"

Follow these. When you have got done with the bold text. Type exit to restart (you can take the cd out so it does't boot from that."

Let me know how this goes. If normal boot doesn't work. Try the safe mode.

Let me know how this goes.

Thank you.

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did not work. how can I get my safe mode back - it does not appear on the screen anymore

HelloCustomer

We may be able to do a repair install. Then recovery your files, then perform a full insatallation.

Have you done a repair installation before?

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Austin,

First, I appreciate your persistence and although times are rough, I hope to make this worth your time.

That said. Forget the repair install - I've done it three times with the original XP and the newer version. Both hang and never complete. I'm doing a last one now while I type. ( It would be a miracle at this point, but if it works = You will know ASAP)

I am not a computer tech but I have a sense of computers = I once wrote machine language when the original PC's (86) came out. Only a few registers.

What do you think of the following two step interim approach?

1. I must have inadvertently turned safe mode off so let's get it back on. To clarify “the F8 key no longer appears on the bottom of the Boot screen". I was reading the literature and there is a way to turn it on and off but it’s out of my knowledge range. I have to locate the register key and somehow do it in repair mode. They mentioned system BIOs as well. Your last fix would have worked if I had the Safe Mode enabled.

2. I believe this whole thing is do to "Desktop Management Software" that was later uninstalled but the agent remains (they admitted to a flaw in their software and gave me this fix). It's a script and I have no clue how to run.

The Software Site recommends running the following script to remove:

On Error Resume Next Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") agentVersion = WshShell.RegRead ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\AdventNet\DesktopCentral\DCAgent\DCAge ntVersion") if Err Then Err.Clear Else WshShell.Run "msiexec.exe /x{6AD2231F-FF48-4D59-AC26- 405AFAE23DB7} /q",0,True End

More Info: I have a boot partition. If you need info on that let me know

I have all the disks that came with the system, drivers and I am looking for the ASR Diskette

To Summarize:

Enable Safe Boot

Run Script to rid system of agent software that may be part of the problem.

I need your help Austin. If we can get this I'll send your name to the AICPA = promise

Thanks Again,
David Del Vecchio
Tel(NNN) NNN-NNNN

I am going to sleep a few hours

Hello David.

Thanks for you patience.

There is no way to turn safe mode option on or off. If this never appears it means files of windows have become more corrupt. However, if the windows disk you have is not scratched, I belive the hanging would have been do to the errors on the disk that we got repaired.

Do you mean that the hard drive has more than one partition. If it does, we could format that one, do a fresh install of XP on that, then when it boots, the original partition would show up as another drive under My Computer.

Clearly, this desktop software has severly been corrupting the windows registry. And if all else fails, the last option we have is to get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002&cm_re=sata_to_usb_adapter-_-12-232-002-_-Product

Hopefully we can get it. However, there are two commands I'd like you to type while in the Recovery console. When the xp disk first loads, press R to enter the recovery console.

Type these commands and press enter. They will each ask for a confirmation.

fixboot

fixmbr

Perhaps these will give us access back to safe mode.

Again, thank you for all your patience. Anyone else would have said "forget it" by now!

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Fixboot was sucessfull

fixmbr

Message: This computer appears to have a non standard or invalid Master Boot Record

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become to become inaccessable

I thru caution to the wind and hit yes

also successful

You mean you can't enable/disable safe mode from repair
There is no possible way you could have disabled safe mode. Something went wrong with the critical windows files.

You mentioned you tried the repair again?
How did this go?

I appreciate your patience with me in troubleshooting this problem.
Austin
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No

Are you certain. Some people I worked for disabled it. You can get it back whats the registry key?

Wgat about the svript partition for install

Looking online, there is a way of disabling safe mode but its not really disabling. It makes windows so it doesn't know it is there. But I do not think we could have done this by mistake. This requires manually editing the registry. And quite frankly I'm not sure why people would disable safe mode options. However you already tried the steps of manually loading the backup registy. It was this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

It appears I did not give you this link before. Have you tried this already?

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no

Do you want off this or is it still for the challenge

Please try the steps mentioned in the Microsoft article. I though you had done this already but it appears I forgot to post this link. Windows keeps a backup of the registy. With these steps, we will be loading the backup registy which is what "last Known good configuration" does. Except we can't get to there!

Perform the steps mentioned in the bold text

This will require booting the cd into the recovery console. But you must type the text exactly as shown. When this is done, hopefully we can get at least into safe mode and grab your files. Then wipe the hard drive clean and give you a brand new system.

I am sticking with this as long as it takes you make sure your system is all set in the end.

Again, heres the link. Perform the bold steps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Good luck. Let me know how it goes. Thank you.

Austin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Austin,

Good News. I was able to recover my safe mode and most of the important files are copied to a USB drive.

I found this site that retored my Boot.ini
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

Tomorrow, after I download a few more files, I will give a Normal Boot a try.

Thanks for your help
We will talk tomorrow.

David Del Vecchio
Great work David.

Let me know whenever you're ready and we can perform the full install. Then get all the updates necessary and all the required programs installed.

Thank you.
Austin
Hello David.

Are you still interested in reinstalling Windows?

Thank you.
Austin
Hello David.

Are you still interested in reinstalling windows?

Thank you.
Austin