Jerry, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 5 years personal experience & over 3.5 years professional. Working towards MCSA, A+, & Network+
22895630

My keyboard on the laptop is acting up. If I type letters,

My keyboard on the laptop is acting up. If I type letters, some of them come up as numbers.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
My first suggestion is to determine if this is actually a hard ware issue or a software issue. I would get a spare USB keyboard and plug it in and see how typing reacts. If it reacts the same way then it is a hard ware issue. If not then it is a software issue and we can continue to trouble shoot it fro there. If it is a hardware issue your only recourse with a laptop is to have the laptop keyboard replaced. I would take it to a local repair shop and see how much they would charge you to have the keyboard replaced as it may cost you more then you are willing to pay depending on the age of the computer. Speaking of which if the computer is still relatively new I would contact the manufacturer as it may still be under warranty and they should fix the keyboard for you for free. Replacing the keyboard on a laptop is not the difficult to so but unless you have done it once or twice yourself I would not recommend doing it on your own.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I attached a spare keyboard to the laptop, it works fine, must be a software issue. Any thoughts
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
No actually because you attached the keyboard and it works fine it is a hard ware issue. If you attached a different keyboard that you new was in perfectly working order and got the same results then it would be a software issue.

At this point your only option is to have the keyboard replaced. Which in itself is not that hard to do for someone who has the experience. Trust me if you saw someone do it you would be like THATS IT???

I would order yourself a new keyboard for your laptop unless it is under warranty and if you tell me the specific make and model and manufacture of the laptop I will try and locate you some detailed instructions or a video you can watch to replace the keyboard yourself which will save you money.

At the very least you can order the keyboard for your laptop once I find one for you and if you do not fill comfortable doing it yourself or get stuck you have at least saved yourself a couple bucks on parts and just have to pay for the labor of having it replaced.

If you have any more questions let me know otherwise get me the information for your laptop and I will see what I can do for you.

Jerry, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 5 years personal experience & over 3.5 years professional. Working towards MCSA, A+, & Network+