Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience:  21 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Printer and network

my ps3 keeps cutting off sound and picture.

Category: Computer
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 6 years ago.

I will be happy to assist you with your issue, but first I need a little more information.

When you say cutting off, what exactly do you mean?
Does it start up properly, and then go blank?
Does it blink on an off?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes it starts up fine and it runs fine, the sound and picture flicker on and off then will go off for about five minutes and come back on.
I have found several references to this issue, but only using the HDMI connection.

Have you tried to use the composite video input to see if the issue is still there?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no i have not tried that, only have HDMI leads for connection
Well this is really for problem identification. If the issue is still present when using the composite connection then the issue is with the PS3 video out and no amount of tweaking, configuring, or troubleshooting will fix it. You will have to contact Sony about repair or replacement.

If if goes away, you can try different HDMI cables in different ports.

Let me know if it is possible to try this sometime soon, since it is the only effective way to determine the root cause.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
unfortunately i dont have the alternative leads to try, i have tried new HDMI cables and changing ports to no avail. cheers
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.
I think it is pretty obvious that you have an issue with your HDMI out ports on the PS3.

As a result, you will need to contact Sony for repair or replacement.

The Sony Playstation support line is

I am sorry. I wish there was something I could tell you that would help resolve your problem immediately. But the reality is you will likely need a new PS3 or replacement parts in order to fix this problem. And that can only be facilitated by Sony directly.

Thank you for your question. If my answer helped at all, please accept. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated!