Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience:  21 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Printer and network

windows 7 x64, MSIE 8.0...Explorer keeps stopping. Get a message

windows 7 x64, MSIE 8.0...Explorer keeps stopping. Get a message saying that it stopped, but that doesn't keep it from being a problem. Any insight?
Hello, I will be happy to assist you with your problem, but first I need a little more information.

When it stops, does it crash your whole system?
Does it just crash your application?
Does the application recover on it's own?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When it happens, nothing is affected except msie 8. There is a message that says it stopped working, and then it recovers the tabs that were open. Of course, that messes up secure logins, etc.
There are a huge number of things you can do in order to resolve this. I apologize, but this will be a bit lengthy.

Chances are that the Internet Explorer settings are incorrect. This problem may also be attributed to missing or damaged files that support the browser. These also include the add-ons for Internet Explorer. Before you go for a total reinstallation of your browser, it is recommended that you try to troubleshoot Internet Explorer first to fix the problem.

If the Internet Explorer settings are incorrect or add-ins go corrupt, the problem of Internet Explorer crashing or freezing can be fixed through the following steps:

1. Close all open windows of Internet Explorer.
2. Open a fresh window of Internet Explorer, and click on the Tools menu.
3. In the dialog box that appears, select the last tab named Advanced (see figure).
4. The last button in the Advanced page of the Internet Options Dialog is named Reset. Click on the button.

Resetting the IE browser settings restores your Internet Explorer to the state when you installed it.

Try this and see if it has any effect. If it does not, let me know and we can do other things before try a full reinstall of the program.

Thank you for your question. If my answer helped at all, please accept. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the quick reply and suggestion. I have done what you suggested - please give me 24 hours to use it with the new settings to see if I still have the problem. If it is fixed, I will be happy to accept and pay.

Let me know how it turns out!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

MSIE 8 has not had a problem since your suggestion, so I am accepting. Can you send me the steps to re-install Explorer, just in case I have to do that?

Thank you for a quick and effective response.

Here is the most effective way, although it is not on the Microsoft home page:

Step 1
Uninstall and then re-install the browser after downloading an alternative browser like Firefox. Firefox will allow the downloading of the new installation Internet Explorer after the original uninstallation of Internet Explorer. Uninstall the old Internet Explorer by selecting the "Start Menu," then "Control Panel." Choose the icon that says "Programs and Features." In the left column, which is blue and green by default, click on "View installed updates." Click to highlight the version of Windows Internet Explorer 8. Click on "Uninstall a program" found at the top left corner just below "Tasks." Restart the computer.

Step 2
Open the Firefox (or other) browser. Go to the Internet Explorer homepage using the alternative browser. Click on "Download Now."

Step 3
Select the country and the operating system being used. For Vista, there will be two options: Windows Vista 64-bit and plain Windows Vista, which is normally 32-bit. To find out which one you should select, click on "Start," "Control Panel," then "System." If the system displays a 32-bit operating system, then select the plain Windows Vista option. If using a 64-bit system is indicated, select the 64-bit option. To save time, in the "Additional Resources" section at the end of this article, direct links are provided where you can click on either "32-bit Internet Explorer 8 Download" or "64-bit Internet Explorer 8 Download."

Step 4
Select the connection type for the estimated download time of the new Internet Explorer Browser. Choose the language preference based on the user(s). Click "Download."
Step 5

Restart the computer.

Thank you very much for your accept!