Jerry, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 5 years personal experience & over 3.5 years professional. Working towards MCSA, A+, & Network+
22895630

how can i change my timeout settings on windows xp

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Can you be more specific hen you say your time out settings? Do you mean the time it takes for your screen saver to come up?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it keeps coming up "your session has expired please re log in" this happens every 30 minutes when im on the net
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
so is this on a specific web page?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it is not a particular page, i did manage to alter it at one time but forgot how i did it i set it to 8 hrs and had no problem until i had to restore system and i am now back to square one
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
But what is it your session to that is expiring that is where I am confussed? Is Windows forcing you off or is it sometyhing you are working on in internet explorer forcing you to sign back in?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think it is windows where the message is coming from but im not sure i get the impression that im rationed to 30 mins unless i change it. It seems like some sort of perental control
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
OK so then what you have to log off windows and then log back in?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the site that im on is still in a faded background a box comes on whith my e mail address and a place to fill in my broadband password. I cannot get back to that page until do so it is similar to when you want to access your email
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
To be honest this sounds like you have something installed on your operating system that is doing this and until we can narrow down the exact program that is doing it I am not sure how I can help you.

Can you tell me exactly what the message says the next time it comes up or does it have a name for the program when it comes up?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i dont think you can help me
there is no title to the box it just says your session has expired
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Yea without seeing excatly what it is that is coming up or having a better idea of what it is excatly I can not help you so I will opt out and see if I can get another expert to try and help you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is on my home page now "please relog in with talk talk aol"
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
OHHHH this is a problem with AOL! OK... do you use the AOL software while tyou are online?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am a new user and dont understand the question i assume so
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
OK can you tell me who your internet service provider is?