lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Engineering degree in Computer science,Microsoft Certified Professional.JA computer expert.

My Kindle will not turn on. Its not the battery; it shows

My Kindle will not turn on. It's not the battery; it shows a green light that it is fully charged. What do you suggest that I do?

Frances Bixler [email protected]

Thanks for your help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  lifesaver replied 6 years ago.

please follow the steps below->

1. Plug-in your charger. Sometimes the Kindle battery can get run-down enough so that it will "freeze." Plugging the charger in and giving your Kindle battery some much needed power often will un-freeze the screen.

2. If that doesn't work, try what is called a "soft reset." To do a soft reset on your Kindle press the , , and keys simultaneously. Your Kindle screen should go blank or dark and then slowly come back to life.

3. When doing a soft reset doesn't work, you will occasionally have to do a "hard reset." To do a hard reset -
- Make sure your Kindle's battery is charged (about an hour of charging time should do it)
- Remove the charger cord from your Kindle
- Open the back of your Kindle
- Locate the small hole under the word "Reset"
- Open a small paper clip
- Insert the paper clip end into the hole and press GENTLY for about 10 seconds
- Your Kindle screen should go blank (or black) and then the Kindle should re-start

4. When a hard reset doesn't work you can try to remove and replace the battery in your Kindle. This is a bit more complex but not too difficult -
- Turn your Kindle off
- Open the back of your Kindle
- Locate the gray battery, and the finger-notch for removing the battery
- Gently press the battery toward the back of its compartment, then lift the battery out
- Locate the connector that attaches the battery to the Kindle
- GENTLY pull the battery connector out of the Kindle
- With the battery out of the Kindle turn it on for about 5 seconds
- Replace the battery and close the back cover of your Kindle
- Turn the Kindle on

See this:-

If your Kindle is still "frozen" after completing the steps above, your next move is to contact the Amazon Kindle support team.

Go to your Amazon account page - select "Manage my Kindle" and contact the support team from there. You can find the link at the top of the "Manage my Kindle" page on the far right side.

i hope this will resolve your problem

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry. I don't quite understand what mean about the soft reset. What are the ,,, and what keys do you mean?
Expert:  lifesaver replied 6 years ago.

Sorry the letters got cut off.

To do a soft reset on your Kindle press the <ALT>, <Shift>, and <R> keys simultaneously

i.e Press Alt, Shift, R keys at the same time to do a soft reset

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The soft reset did not work, so I will try the hard reset. However, I have to leave right now. Thank you for you help. I've printed your instructions.
Expert:  lifesaver replied 6 years ago.

No problem.

Take your own time.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Well, I was able to pry open my Kindle. However, I could not find the Reset button anywhere. So, I put it back together. Later, I just held the on switch for about 15 seconds. Finally, it turned on. Now, though, I seem to have lost everything. No Archived Items appear, I can't get the MENU button to do anything. Nothing works, really. I'm afraid that I have damaged it rather badly. Ouch!