Jerry, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 5 years personal experience & over 3.5 years professional. Working towards MCSA, A+, & Network+

windows vista shuts down immediately after startup giving the

windows vista shuts down immediately after startup giving the following error message:

"Windows has encountered a critical error and will shut down in one minute"

I've tried starting in safe mode and the same happens, I've tried going to command prompt and typing "shutdown -a" but it shuts down anyway.

I know I need to do a clean boot but with the auto shutdown I do not have time.

Any suggestions?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
Sounds like something has happened to your installation of Windows Vista and I suggestion you follow one of the two sets of instructions to repiar your operating system.

1. Boot up with the Vista install disc

2. You should see a screen that says "Windows is loading files"

3. After a few minutes you will get a language option. Select your language and hit next.

4. On the install screen select "Repair your computer"

5. Windows will find your copy of Vista on the machine

6. Select your copy of Vista and click next

7. You will now see the following options.

* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting

* System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time

* Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)

* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors

* Command Prompt

8. Assuming you are using this option because you were unable to boot to Windows Vista select the system Restore option and then select the date you would like to go back to. If your OS is fine you can always use the startup repair option.

Pre-Installed and OEM versions: (please check with your manufacturer fist. They may have replaced these tools with their own.

1. Turn your computer on and start pressing the F8 key. If you see the Windows Vista Logo you have gone too far and need to reboot and try again

2. You will get an advanced options screen. Select the "Repair your computer option" and hit enter.

3. Select your language and hit next.

4. Enter your user name and password XXXXX then next.

5. The recovery options should now appear.

6. In most cases just using the system restore to set your computer back will solve your issue. If this is not the case try the Startup repair option.

Good luck,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Initially I tried the restore, this did not work. I then tried repair. After this it came up ok, however it then installed some updates in the background and when restarted, it when into a restart loop at the install updates stage.

I restored back to previous known good, and am now back to square one.

The Disable auto restart option also does not appear to work.

I'm still totally stuck!

For your reference, the computer is an Acer with OEM windows vista premium home and no install disk.

Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
At this point if you can not do a repair install you will need to do a clean install.

Do you have a recovery partition that you can boot to, to od a clean install? If not Acer will sell you the Vista disk fairly cheap.

Acer WorldWide

Acer USA

Yours would be an OEM

How to Do a Clean Install and Setup with a Full Version of Vista - this wipes ALL programs and data out

Hope this helps.