Ask Amit - The Real Computer Expert Your ...

Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Amit - The Real Computer Expert, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCA. M.Phil. in computer science with tons of experience of computers.
14222834

My HP Pavilion computer screen will not turn on. How can I

My HP Pavilion computer screen will not turn on. How can I fix that?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Amit - The Real Computer Expert replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

It seems surge of power might overheated and damaged your motherboard or the processor of your laptop thats why it doesnt initialize other device in the system

As odd as this sounds, remove the battery, unplug it, let it sit overnight. Let it drain. Plug in power only and try to turn it on. When you just plug it in (before power on) it should indicate charging?

If that doesn't work, remove the battery, unplug it, (if you can see the CMOS battery - usually under a cover on bottom - remove it too) - let it sit overnight. Plug in power only and try to turn it on.

And, as another mentioned here, make sure the power strip you are using, actually does have power (like plug in a lamp to test it)

When you plug the computer in to the power cord does the battery charge? Usually there is a specific color that will flash somewhere on the cord or the laptop to let you know that the computer is "on charge".

If so, you're computer is probably fine. I had a Hewlett Packard do that to me once. Try hitting the "power" button if you have one. No matter how many times I pressed the power button, the computer wouldn't do anything.

I found out that there is a button somewhere on the laptop that controls when the computer goes to "sleep" when the screen is down. So happened that this stupid button was stuck, so I jammed a pen cap in there, pressed the power button and the computer turned right on.

My suggestion: Try the power button first. If that doesn't work, try to find the button that controls when the laptop goes to "sleep". Should be somewhere where the edge of the screen meets the keyboard (around the perimeter of the laptop). If all else fails, take it to a computer place. They usually won't charge you just to look at it.

Try plugging it in to a different outlet that you are SURE has power. Make sure the surge protector has not tripped a fuse.

Try running it on battery power only. If it doesn't work, remove the battery, clean the terminals and replace.

Also look at the following links

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006/07/05/laptop-turns-on-and-shuts-down/

Try doing a power static discharge by doing the following:

1) Remove both the AC adapter and the main battery

2) Press the power button in and out 10 times

3) Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds

4) Plug in the AC adapter, then try and press the power button

If this method doesn't work or if you see the indicators with a black screen, you may need to contact HP.

I don't think there is anything else that can be done. I know you do not want to hear this but I can only tell you the facts and sometimes true facts are not pleasant.

Edited by Amit - The Real Computer Expert on 10/12/2009 at 7:23 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your response. Do you think unplugging it will really be helpful? My concern is that my computer turns on, but the screen doesn't. I just had it fixed less than two weeks ago, and now the same problem is occuring. Is there anything else that you could suggest that I could do before taking it in to someone to see?
I apologies, blank screen is directly related to the issue in the way that motherboard is not sending signals to the screen.
If none of the previously given steps help, I afrid, issue is related to hardware which need disassembling.
I would had given you the steps, if it had been a desktop.
but in the case of laptop, we are limited.
I apologies again.
Experience: MCA. M.Phil. in computer science with tons of experience of computers.