mary
mary, Consultant
Experience:  MCA (Masters in Computer Application
18613681

my laptop wont go past the welcome screen. I did nothing,

Customer Question

my laptop won't go past the welcome screen. I did nothing, i didn't download anything. I just left the room with the laptop running and I came back to the sign in page. I signed in and after all the checking that the computer does after shutting it down incorrectly, I can not get past the welcome page after putting in my password...
Category: Computer
Expert:  mary replied 4 years ago.
Unplug the ac adapter. Keep ac adapter unplugged.
Remove the battery and keep the battery unplugged.
Hold the power button down for 15-20 seconds. (Nothing will appear on the display and none of the lights will light up.)
Release the power button and plug in the ac adapter ONLY. (Please note that a power indicator light should be lit on the ac adapter when it is plugged in).
Normally power on the notebook.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did what you said and started the laptop again..It powers up and runs a disc check. After it reboots and I put in my password XXXXX hangs at welcome, still...
Expert:  mary replied 4 years ago.

This looks like the windows operating system file might be corrupted as its not booting to windows.

To resolve the issue we need to run a windows repair for that you need the windows disk we can proceed then. let me know and i will give you the steps.

Befor that we can try this step first:

shutdown the system wait for 2 misn turn it on and press the F8 for few times this will open windows advance menu now use the arrow key to select

last know good configuration once it is highlighted then hit enter and follow the screen to its prompt and let it move further to load windows

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got a little excited for a minute there but after reboot, it still hangs at welcome., I don't have a recovery disc so I won't be able to try your other suggestion. Is it possible to use system restore? Does Vista have that feature? Or, should I just go to best buy and get a recovery cd? I really have no clue at this time..
Expert:  mary replied 4 years ago.

You can run system restore which will bring the computer back to an earlier time lets say few days back with the help of selecting the date in the calender in the system restore tool.

To go into system restore tool click on start select accessories and the system tools and then system restore.

Select restore my computer to an earlier time and click the date in the calender box once highlighted hit next and wait till the process completes once completed it will restart the system automatically and will give you a message your computer was restored successfully in case it says not restored then you can select another Bold date i mean a previous date to retry again.

I would like to know the make and the model # XXXXX the computer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
have a Gateway MT6840.. How do I get to system restore when i can't get past Welcome?
Expert:  mary replied 4 years ago.

follow the steps to run the computer in advance windows option.

in case the LKGC didnt work then try the steps again and select the safe mode option once you are in windows you can try system restore.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I went to F8 and I am trying the repair startup option.. It says it will take a while so I'm just waiting at this time.. If that does not work, I'll try system restore..This seems like an all day process. I'm going to let the system repair do what it does and I'll get back to you. I want to thank you for at least getting me to the...wait a min.. that didn't work either..going back to F8 and try something else..
Expert:  mary replied 4 years ago.
It will definately work in case not succesful you can login to safe mode and then select system restore.
mary, Consultant
Experience: MCA (Masters in Computer Application
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried to use system restore and I get " The disc (C:) has errors.

Windows has dectected file system corruption on (C). You must check the disc for errors before it can be restored. So now I'm letting it do that...What the *^% could have happend? That sounds serious..Do you think I should just give it up? Everything I try is not working.

Expert:  mary replied 4 years ago.

did it run the scan where it showed #% did it complete the repair?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It completed what it said it was doing and when I tried system restore again, i got the same message so this time i checked both options..scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors..
Expert:  mary replied 4 years ago.
let me know once completed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will..and thanks for all of your time and effort.. i'll accept once we're done even if nothing works.. gonna see if i have a warenty of some kind and send it to gateway or somebody who can fix it..good thing i alwasy keep a spare...lol
Expert:  mary replied 4 years ago.

Not a problem, you can do as you wish.

Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wow...that took a while but i'm finally back in business...Thanks for the F8 advice. I was able to get in through there and use all of the options..Thanks for all your help...
Expert:  mary replied 4 years ago.
Create a restore point in the system restore in case if you face this issue then you can restore it back to todays date.