Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

hp computer wont turn on.. green light on the back near power

Customer Question

hp computer wont turn on.. green light on the back near power cord just blinks.. consistant short blinks
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i am here to help..

i would like you to unplug the computer, remove the battery, and then plug the computer back in,(with the battery removed) and then try to start the computer..

Let me know what happens..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is an HP Desktop..

The computer was on when I left for work.. When i got home from work it was off..When you hit the button it doesnt even try to start.. The blue HP light on the front doesnt even light up... just as if the computer wasnt even pluged in..

On the back where the power cord plugs in there is a green light that is blinking..

blink blink blink blink blink etc etc all the same legnth of time.. sorta fast blink..

Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. Please try what i suggested first, andthen we will go on from there..

Please try removing the power cord completely.. then removing the battery.. now hold down the power button with the battery out and the cord out for about thirty seconds..

now leave the battery out, and plug the power cord back in, with the battery out, try to tunr on the laptop.. let me know what happens..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The computer is a desktop not a laptop... there is no battery to remove..
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Aha.. My apoligies..

could you relay the name brand and model of your desktop..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HP pavilion a824n
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. you may have a bad power supply..

heres what to do.. turn it off , disconnect from power..

open the case.. remove all ram except one stick, remove everything connected to the motherboard such as modems, network cards, etc..

You will see a round flat battery, very very carefully remove that battery and leave it out for about ten to 15 minutes..

Then carefully replace the battery.. leaving everything disconnected, sound cards, modems, network cards, all ram except one chip..

plug in only the monitor and the keyboard, now plug in the powersupply again, and try to start the computer..

if it will now start.. you need to replace the power supply, you could try running it but if its not putting out the correct voltage.. then it could fry yor motherboard and all other cards in the computer..

let me know what happens..