Ryan B.
Ryan B., Support Specialist
Experience:  Comptia A+ Certified Technician , with 8+ years Experience
16548393

WHEN I PUT MY COMPUTER TO SLEEP, IT WILL COME BACK ON AT ODD

Customer Question

WHEN I PUT MY COMPUTER TO SLEEP, IT WILL COME BACK ON AT ODD TIMES. I HAD THIS PROBLEM ONCE BEFORE AND WAS TOLD THAT MY INTERNET WAS HITTING MY COMPUTER TO BRING IT BACK ON. ON 9-20-09 I HAD TO INSTALL A LINKSYS ETHERNET 10/100 LAN CARD, WHICH COULD BE THE CAUSE. WHAT DO I DO TO PUT MY COMPUTER TO SLEEP AND STAY ASLEEP?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustANswer~!~Smile

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you with your question today. Could you please tell me is your computer windows xp or vista?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
vista system
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the quick reply.

This may be caused by a feature enabled on your NIC that allows it to wake up your computer while sleeping.

To correct this issue please do the following:

1) Click the orb at the bottom left to bring up the start menu, then right click on "computer" then click on manage and the computer management window will open. Now on the left side click on "device manager" then on the right side click the + sign next to network adapters then double click on your Network Driver then click on the power management tab at the top and make sure there is NO check next to "allow this device to wake the computer"

image

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I received your message to stop my computer coming on when in the sleep mode. I followed instructions, put computer to sleep, waited about 4 minutes and it came back on. last time it happned dell had to take over computer and change settings. this is a vesta home premium system. as per instructions no was checked !
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the quick reply. Could you please tell me did this problem only start happening after installing the linksys network card?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes this problem started as soon as i put the new card in.
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Alright thank you for the reply. This sounds like an issue with the network card causing this. 99% of the time this is corrected by removing the check mark that I had you look into. Could you please tell me when you were in the device manager and click on the + sign next to network adapters how many things appeared under network adapers, was there just a linksys one, or was there more then one?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It showed- linksy ln100tx(v5) fast ethernet adapter. Below that was- microsoft 6 to 4 adapter #6. not working due to windows cannot load drivers required for this device(code 31)
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Alright thank you for the quick reply, so you only have to devices listed there one of which doesn't work and you have checked the settings on the other one and they are correct.

Could you please tell me what other hardware do you have installed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have to tell you that my internet-and e- mail is run on an island by a bunch of rink ydinks that like the money but doesn't give service-hence some slow responses. I also don't what you are looking for when you ask for "hardware" I guess its two disk burners, and thats about it. computer is used for quick books and some games, e-mail, pictuers, nothing really heavy.
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Alright thank you for the quick reply. Hardware that I am referring to would be anything thats connected to your computer that you installed software for such as a camera, printer, anything like that.

The next question I have is what button do you push to put your computer to sleep, do you push a button or do you just let it sit for awhile and then it goes to sleep on its own?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a DELL printer, fax, copyer, and photo 966 all in one. thats all that is hooked up to the computer. as to the next question- if the computer is left on for a length of time then it goes into a shut down mode. if disturbed it comes right back on. somewhere I know there is a setting to adjust the time before it shuts down, but if mouse is moved a little, it won't shut down.
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the quick reply, this is a stumper, i'm going to opt-out and open your question for the other experts to see if they have an answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had this problem when I first got my dell computer and the vista program. I called dell, and they said that the internet was hitting my computer and that I had to reset something in the program. It was so complicated dell had to take control of my computer and do changes to stop internet from waking it from its sleep mode. lighting must have knocked out internal ethernet so I had to buy and install another. now the same problem.