Ryan H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Certified Technician - 10 Years experience working with all types of computer systems.
20388524

keyboard delay when typing ------------------------------------------------------------

keyboard delay when typing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

•From: sandy <[email protected]>
•Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 09:51:01 -0800

There is a considerable lag between the time when I press a key and the time
the character appears on the screen
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 7 years ago.
Hello, what type of computer do you have and which operating system?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dell Optiplex GX520.....Microsoft Windows XP
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 7 years ago.
First lets try this.

Press the shift key 5 times. Test by typing again.

If that doesn't work:

Hold down the shift key for 10 seconds. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No that doesn't work

The second did'nt work either
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 7 years ago.
How much of delay between hitting a key and it showing on the screen? It is the same delay always or something longer/shorter?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi I think it is about the same...each time....By the way I've tried with another keyboard and still have the same problem.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 7 years ago.
Can you tell me how this problem started? Was a program downloaded and then this started or were accessablity options changed and you can't change them back? etc.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Ryan,
Not sure how problem started as my "Grown up KIDS" also use this from time to time...I regularly do "clean ups" on PC and recently removed McAfee as it was slowing everything down..........Maybe this caused the prob.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 7 years ago.
Please press CTRL + ALT + DELETE at the same time, and click on task manager. Can you tell me what % the CPU is running at.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Ryan
processes 50;CPU USAGE 3%

Also I have noticed if I hold a key down it responds immediately
as yousee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
thanks for your help
regards
T
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 7 years ago.
Ok go ahead and go back to your accessiblity options, and make sure none of these options are checked.

graphic

(This photo shows the first one checked however in your case make sure NONE are checked.)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Ryan....I can not see this image...I'm getting dangerous URL blocked when I try to view fill image
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 7 years ago.
Ok go into you accessability options and make sure Sticky keys is off, Toggle keys is off, every option with the keyboard should be unchecked.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
All unchecked.........Still got delay
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 7 years ago.
Do you have the keyboard hooked into the PS2 port (round port) or the usb on your computer?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
USB port
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 7 years ago.
Can please back up your files/serial numbers and use your recovery CD's to re-install windows on the computer. I believe this to be a windows issue but can't know for sure. This is the best way to fix the problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi I can't do this as I do not have the CDs........plus I don't know how to do this................There has to be an easier way to do this,I'm hearing from a friend ....I should check the keyboard rate settings............How do i do this?
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 7 years ago.
1.

Open Keyboard by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Keyboard.

2.

Under Character repeat, move the Repeat delay slider to the left to increase the amount of time you must hold down a key before the keyboard character repeats. Move the slider to the right to decrease the amount of time before characters repeat.

Try that out, and let me know, thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Ryan.............No still doesn't fix the problem but it is less delayed as i moved the slider to the left.
Also I found a reinstallation CD FOR WINDOWS XP PROF. I'm not sure if it is the CD that came with this PC does that make a difference?
Hope we can fix this today
Thanks
T
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 7 years ago.
Lets scan your system for malware first before we re-install windows.

1.) Click here to download Malwarebytes for free.
2.) Install Malwarebytes scanner, update program if it asks you too.
3.) Turn off the computer
4.) Turn on the computer and press F8 multiple times.
5.) A menu will appear - select "Safe mode with Networking"
6.) Windows Safe mode will open, then open MalwareBytes and scan your computer for bad programs and once it is done scanning, remove any threats.
7.) Once done, restart your computer and boot into regular windows.

Bookmark this page so you don't lose it and can come back if you need to.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok Ryan.......All done.......but not fixed
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 7 years ago.
Before we completely re-install Windows, can you try to restore your system to an earlier date:

1.

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2.

On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

3.

On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you'd like to restore to, and then click Next.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok Ryan..............I think this has fixed my problem
Great..............
Thanks
T
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 7 years ago.
Great! Thats a relief! Enjoy stress free typing... :) Thanks!