JMU 1998
JMU 1998, Consultant
Experience:  11+ years of Technical Consulting Experience

My laptop turns on but only has a blank screen and a cursor

My laptop turns on but only has a blank screen and a cursor on it.....nothing else.
Category: Computer
Expert:  JMU 1998 replied 4 years ago.
hello and thank you for your question.
When did this start happening?
Any changes made to your machine that you can remember recently?
When was the last time it worked fine?
What is the make and model of your machine?
Have you tried to perform a point-in-time system restore in Safe mode?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It started this a.m.

No.

Last night.

Acer Aspire 4520-5458

No

Expert:  JMU 1998 replied 4 years ago.
Well lets try to do this first. we need to restore you machine to a point sometime earlier. Please follow the instructions below exactly as listed. You may want to print them:

if you remember a date when the problem was not occurring (yesterday or day before)just restore it to that date and the it will restore itself to that moment-in time and undo any changes made to the operating system.

Below are instructions to run the point-in-time restore wizard.

- shutdown your machine for 10 seconds

- restart it and while it is starting immediately start tapping the F8 key

- you will then be presented with an advanced menu

- from this menu select safe mode

- it will now load windows into safe mode (it may take upto 10 mins)

- once in safe mode click Start.

- Point to All Programs.

- Point to Accessories.

- Point to System Tools.

- Click System Restore.

- Follow the instructions on the wizard (restore to a date you know for sure it worked)

- reboot your PC and test

JMU 1998, Consultant
Experience: 11+ years of Technical Consulting Experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it won't do anything. just goes back to the same blank screen with the cursor blinking.
Expert:  JMU 1998 replied 4 years ago.
the timing has to be just right for it to work. Turn it off for 10 seconds and then AS SOON AS you start it start tapping the F8 key immediately... give it one more shot, I am not doubting your ability I am just trying to remove the element of doubt from my mind that I did not give you the instruction in a clear enough format.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Turned on with one finger and tapped f8 with the other...nothing but blinking cursor.
Expert:  JMU 1998 replied 4 years ago.
that is not a good sign. So you see nothing on the screen when it boots any logo's or any writing flash by at-all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The acer screen flashes up for just a second then it goes to the blinking cursor.
Expert:  JMU 1998 replied 4 years ago.
any beeps or a set of beeps or clicking sound? Is the harddrive light blinking any amber or red lights on the panel? Do you hear or feel the fan blowing (any air coming out of the vent?) Do you hear or feel the Hard drive spinning?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No beeps. amber(green light on front) Fan is blowing and I can hear the hard drive spinning.
Expert:  JMU 1998 replied 4 years ago.
hmmm.. well it looks like the operating system got corrupted. Do you happen to have the system restore CD's this machine came with? We will need to boot this machine off the system restore CD's and try to REPAIR the operating system that way.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't find any.
Expert:  JMU 1998 replied 4 years ago.
Well that leaves us with very little choices then. Do you happen to have the operating system disk?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My husband just got home and he hit f2 and got us to the setup utility screen and it made a couple of beeps. It's on the f12 boot menu and it's disabled...does that help any...I'm still looking for the cd's.

Expert:  JMU 1998 replied 4 years ago.
Well what you are looking at is the system BIOS screen. This will not help us much as we need to somehow repair or re-install the operating system on this machine.

Now do you understand if we do re-install the operating system you will lose all your personal data (music, picture, documents, videos etc..) and the computer will basically go back to the factory default setting.

If the data is too valuable then I recommend you send the machine in to the manufacturer for analysis and they can try to repair it. If you want to use this method let me know the make of your machine so I can try to locate a Technical Support center close to you I will need to know just your zip code or region where you live outside usa so I can get you the correct info for the support center.