Magic C.
Magic C., IT/Network Engineer
Experience:  13+ years PC repair and building, MCDST, A+, and Networking
17932413

RA-gd

Customer Question

i need a user's manual for a microsoft wireless desktop elite keyboard model no. 1011. Where can I get one?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 7 years ago.
There are no specific manual for the keybaord can you please tell me what is the problem you are facing?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I cannot set up the my favorite keys. When I go to a web page and press one of my favorite keys, nothing happens. My scroll wheel does no scroll the page.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 7 years ago.
Do you have used the keys earlier or this is the 1st time?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1st time. This is a brand new keyboard and mouse purchased on ebay.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 7 years ago.
hi,
Do you have installed the software for the keyboard because without that you cannot configure the keyboard as per your needs.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The software is installed. My keyboard keys all work. What does not work is the scroll key and the My Favorite keys.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I am out of ideas I will opt out so that other experts can help you with better ideas.

Thanks
Expert:  Magic C. replied 7 years ago.
Hello Customer. I would like to try and help you.

You said that you purchased the Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite from ebay. More than likely it came with a disc that had the drivers and software for it. Let's do this:

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
2. Scroll down to Microsoft Keyboard and/or Microsoft Mouse listings. Click on each of them, then click Uninstall/Remove. This will remove the software and drivers that came with your purchase.
3. Download the latest drivers from this website:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=MK

4. Select Desktop Set for #1, Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Elite for #2, Windows XP 32-bit for #3, and your appropriate language for #4.
5. On the next page, it will have a link to download the software/drivers for your desktop set. Save the file to your Desktop.
6. Double-click on the file on your Desktop to begin and complete installation.
7. Restart your computer.

Let me know if this works for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am leaving work now and will try your suggestion when I get home this afternoon.
Expert:  Magic C. replied 7 years ago.
Ok. If you are looking for a manual on your wirless keyboard set, it is located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/documentation/default.aspx

Just select "Desktop Set" for #1 and the model name of the set in #2. The download links will appear below #2.

Let me know if this helps as well.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I removed the existing keyboard and mouse programs and reinstalled from the website you gave me. Problems still there. Scroll wheele and my favorite keys do not work.
Expert:  Magic C. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information on the status.

Unfortunately, if they do not work, then it's a problem with the keyboard itself and it will need to be replaced.

Depending on when you purchased the keyboard and mouse set, you may be able to have them replaced under manufacturer's warranty. Since your hardware was manufactured by Microsoft, their products have a 3 year warranty. The documentation is located here about that:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/Warranties.mspx

I would probably contact the person who sold you the keyboard set on eBay about your issue. If they won't help you (can't guarantee that they will), then you need to contact Microsoft about it, especially because it is new.

Let me know if this helps you.