Magic C.
Magic C., IT/Network Engineer
Experience:  13+ years PC repair and building, MCDST, A+, and Networking
17932413

What is my SSID. I am trying to set up a wireless printer.

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  e-Guru replied 5 years ago.
<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>Please provide me the model or make of the printer.</p><p> </p><p>Thanks</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Printer is - hp Officejet Pro 8500 A909g Wireless
Expert:  e-Guru replied 5 years ago.

1. Access the Embedded Web Server.
  2. Turn on the Broadcast SSID option.
    NOTE: The Broadcast SSID can also be turned on using the Enter a New Network Name (SSID) option in the Wireless Setup Wizard.

Refer to your Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router's User Guide for specific instructions to turn on the Broadcast SSID option or to enter a new network name (SSID).

Please click on the Green ACCEPT button below to appreciate my time and assistance being provided. Bonuses are appreciated as well.
Thank You for contacting JustAnswer.com
Customer/p>

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I access the Embedded Web Server?
Expert:  e-Guru replied 5 years ago.

SSID name is XXXXX XXXXX of your wireless network that information is stored in your wireless router and WPA/WEP are the security modes for your wireless network.. you could call up your Internet provider and they would help you find your SSID name..or you can try logging into your router page to get to know your SSID name...at this point am just trying to give you a tip..but if you find my suggestion not quite easy the best people to help would be your Internet provider

1) Open up the command prompt by pressing windows key + R( that should bring up a run box)., type cmd in that box and press enter
2) you should be in a black window now in that type ipconfig and press enter
3) you should be seeing this information by name default gateway note down the address beside default gateway..that is your router address..and then type exit and press enter to close this window
4) open up the internet explorer or mozilla firefox in the address bar for eg. where you type http:\\www.yahoo.com , delete the line and type the default gateway address there and press enter now you would be in the router page asking for username and password XXXXX you know them very well you can login toyour router page setup menu..else you need to check with internet people. And if in case you happen to know the username and password XXXXX when you are in the router page you need to check for any heading with name wireless connection when you click them you would observe your SSID name...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This seems to be very difficult. I bought a wireless hp printer, fax,copy,scan machine. In setting it up for wireless operation to print from my Gateway computer, I installed the CD provided by HP. During installation it says it can not locate printer and fails to complete installation. The printer issues a troobleshooting report which says the Network Name (SSID)Found - Failed hpsetup is the (SSID) used. Why would they make it so hard to use this equipment? I have spent all day trying to figure this out. I have followed all instructions. Your instructions are very difficult for me to follow. I am not very computer savy. I simply asked for the SSID. If you tell me to look on the back of the computer and find a number, I can do that. If you tell me to call my internet provider you are not giving me much help because I don't know their phone number or who they are.

Expert:  e-Guru replied 5 years ago.

okie check your printer at the bottom does it have the ssid. Also please disable any firewall or antivirus that you might have got on your system.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The printer has nothing on the bottom. I think they want the SSID of the computer. The computer has a lot of different numbers on the bottom, but none say SSID#. I appreciate your time and assistance but the question is, "What is my SSID#?" I guess I will call the store or take the machine back. It seems they could make this a lot simpler. Not everybody is a computer specialist. Thanks
Expert:  Magic C. replied 5 years ago.
Hi Customer. I would like to try and help you.

Just to explain some things:
1. When you purchase a wireless printer, you must also have a wireless router in order for the printing to work wirelessly. Do you have a wireless router?
2. The SSID is the "name" that your wireless router sends out in order to be connected to. Think of it as your wireless modem's "City".
3. There is also a passkey/passphrase for your wireless router. Think of this as the actual "street address".

Does this help?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't think a router is needed because my computer has wireless capabilities. I have an AT&T card that plugs into the side of the computer. I can receive wireless signals almost anywhere. I will get a router if necessary, but the sales lady didn't mention any thing else was needed to use this equipment. Also, the box it came in did not say it required a router to operate the wireless function. On page 4 of the wireless getting started instructions, it says, "If your wireless network does not use a wireless router, you can connect the HP Officejet Pro device directly to your computer using a wireless connection (known as an ad hoc wireless connection." When I run the CD they provided for set up, the test report says it failed to find the Network Name (SSID)
Expert:  Magic C. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

What model is your HP wireless printer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909g Wireless
Expert:  Branden replied 5 years ago.
I'm not going to step on Magic C's toes, but rather just offer some information.

Magic C is mostly correct in saying that you will need a wireless router. You're using a AT&T (sticky... as we like to call them) to accesss the internet at a moderatly high speed using cell phone towers, which is why you can connected from anywhere.
You are correct in thinking (as the instructions specify) that you can create an ad-hoc connection between the printer and computer even without a wireless router. HOWEVER! You must do this between your printer and you're computers WLAN card, NOT the AT&T wireless internet card. The AT&T card will not allow for ad-hoc connections (non that you'd want to deal with anyway, trust me).

The printer must come with a USB connection preference as well. As a last effort anyway.

The problem with purchacing a wireless router is that:
A) If you always use your AT&T card to get internet access, you could see connection interuption from your OS not knowing which card to use to access the internet.
B) If you're using the AT&T card, you really have no need for a wireless router.

Just some thoughts to assist.
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the assist Branden. He is right Customer. Your AT&T Wireless Internet connection is completely different than the wireless capabilities built-in on your laptop.

AT&T Wireless functions over the same signals as your cell phone, while the wireless on the printer and built-in on your laptop function on signals similar to that of two-way radios (but not the same frequency, of course). Before I get too technical, let's continue with setting up your printer.

First, you have to install your printer using the USB cable.
1. Put the Printer CD into your CD drive, it should start automatically. Choose "Install Network/Wireless Device".
2. The software will attempt to locate the printer. When prompted, insert the USB wireless setup cable temporarily.
3. Continue following the prompts as needed. It will tell you when to disconnect the USB wireless setup cable.

Now, you have to setup the wireless connection on your computer.
1. Click Start > Connect to.
2. Click Setup a connection or network.
3. Click Set up an ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network, click Next.
4. Type hpsetup as the SSID, then click Next.
5. Continue with the rest of the steps until the wizard is complete.

Let me know if you have any problems with this.
Magic C., IT/Network Engineer
Experience: 13+ years PC repair and building, MCDST, A+, and Networking
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It seems to be working! The USB cable is still connected, but I plan to disconnect and try the wireless printing function.Am going to bed and retest in the morning. Thank you!
Expert:  Magic C. replied 5 years ago.
You're very welcome!! Let me know what happens in the morning.