Ask Amit - The Real Computer Expert Your ...

Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Amit - The Real Computer Expert, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCA. M.Phil. in computer science with tons of experience of computers.

Hi, HOW do I view IPOD PHOTO CACHE on my Windows XP PC Alan

Customer Question

HOW do I view IPOD PHOTO CACHE on my Windows XP PC?

Alan Beckley
Category: Computer
Expert:  Amit - The Real Computer Expert replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-If I understand correctly, you want to view your IPOD photoes on PC?

-or you want to know the location of IPOD PHOTO CACHE folder on your PC?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Amit,

I have lost all my photos. I have a file called IPOD PHOTO CACHE, I would like to view it's contents and see if they are my missing photos.

If they are the photos I'm missing then turning the back into JPEG's is another problem.

Alan Beckley

When you sync pictures to the iPod, your actual pix are not what gets loaded. A copy of the photo is created in a size and format that it knows will display well on the iPod. ( the format is "ithmb"?). These converted pix are stored in the iPod Photo Cache folder, and uploaded from there. Every folder you select to sync photos from will have an iPod Photo Cache folder at its top level.

Files are kept there indefinitely, to save conversion time if you ever need them again. But those cache folders can really grow...if you know that you're never again going to need a bunch of photos on your iPod, you can delete the iPod Photo Cache folder from their parent folder. If you delete a cache folder that contains photos that are on your iPod, the cache will be rebuilt (provided the original files still exist).

The folder is generally found in "My Documents" -> "My pictures".

I downloaded a iPod Photo Cache from the 'net. I noticed this structure:

F00 (dir)
F01 (dir)

Photo Database (file)

I examined the "Photo Database" file and noticed references to Adobe PageMill 3.0. It also references the ithmb's in the "Fnn" directories. There are also tags "mhod" and "mhniL" in there too.

however there seems no way to open them on a PC. I have looked the adobe software, that is also designed for downloading the images from the iPod and will only work if the iPod is attached and there are images associated with it.

I've been doing some experimenting with Photoshop CS2. I think I'm on to something here :) Here's what I did:

I changed the .ithmb extension to .raw and loaded the ithmb (raw) file into Photoshop. Photoshop then brings up the "Photoshop Raw Options" dialog. The settings I used for this are:

Width: 720
Height: 480

Count: 1
Depth: 16bits
Byte Order: IBM PC

Size: 0

Now when you click OK, another dialog will come up mentioning Specified image is smaller than file; open anyway? - click OK.

If you're lucky, then the image should load but it will show two images; one on top of the other. The other problem is it might be only in black'n'white greyscale*. Also, the images come out stretched horizontally.

[ *edit: Ah! The greyscale problem is caused by the colour space interpretation. I need a program that will handle, or can specify, YUV 4:2:2 (I think) not RGB]

Perhaps you could upload an ithmb file that is known to be in colour for me so that I can experiment with a known colour source.

[edit2: From scouring the 'net, I've found that other possible Dimensions are 176x220, 130x88, 41x30 - the file size of the ithmb will give a clue to what is required]

Just for info the .ithmb store several different versions of the picture, a thumbnail version, another smaller version and a full sized version, so these are probably the multiple images I am seeing. I will try converting one to .RAW and using my photo software.

So far I think I've been using ithmb's with a single image... But I've managed to find something that will import the ithmb with the correct YUV colour space. It is called Imagemagick.

I had to change the .ithmb file extension to a .uyvy file extension. The command line I used to output to a PNG file is (all on one line with the source file in the same directory) :

convert -size 720x480 -depth 16 -sampling-factor 4:2:2 T114.uyvy Test.png

From these ithmbs I've been able to ascertain what the format of the (single picture) files are. I believe the two images I've been seeing, one on top of the other, are Apple's attempt to change the RAW format. The top and bottom images must be interleaved to create the correct image and corrects the viewing aspect. That's the reason the images looked stretched: the 720x480 images are split into 2 of 720x240 images.

Now I've just got to find a way to interleave these two images to create the correct picture. Then I'll move on to multi-image ithmbs...

[edit: Here's where I'm up to at the moment]

[edit2: Here's where the original file that I used is located]

You may also use

File Juicer for Mac OS X

but it is for Mac.

This is the only thing Which can be done.

Show your appreciation by pressing the ACCEPT button (SO I CAN GET PAID FOR MY WORK) and give positive feedback (I will give you positive feedback). Bonuses are appreciated. Need more info? just ask!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Amit,

There is no software that can read the files conventionally?

I can see you are having difficulty. I've printed the awnser, so I can digest it.

Alan Beckley

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Amit,

I digested your awnser.

I downloaded Photoshop (CS4) after copying IPODPHOTOCACHE. I changed a file extension to .raw in F00. The image that was returned was unviewable.

I'm unable to use Imagemagik.

The files you sent to view no image is returned on my screen.

This very complicated, all I want is a way of viewing the images.

I have an IPOD but I'm worried about 'syncing' to it and losing my images

How can I upload an image to you?

Alan Beckley

You can use any file sharing service like rapidshare and post sharing link here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Give me some time to check it.

I apologise for responding so late due to technical defficulties.

I hope you understand the situation.

I tried to open the file you sent me using rapidshare but I could not open it.

it is not recoverable.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Amit,

I do not understand why 'technical defficulties' prevented you keeping me informed!

I don't understand the situation!

If you can't open it can the file not be read on a PC.

If you are unable to, can anyone else help?

Alan Beckley