Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance
15197395

How do I install a flash drive on my Dell Computer-Windows

How do I install a flash drive on my Dell Computer-Windows XP?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Please goto the link below and follow the instructions to use your flash drive..and let me know.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2019969_flash-store-data.html
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
These are great informational directions but I cannot get past the first step. The icon and name of the flash drive is at the bottom of my screen but I cannot get it further but instead get the message that the folder cannot be found.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Are you connectiong the flash drive to the printer or pc?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well now I warned you about my ignorance. To answer your question I would say that I am plugging it into the PC. In fact I unplugged the printer from the port and placed the flash drive in that port. I then plugged the printer into another port and it works there. You see I do not know what I am doing. Still the flash drive loads only to the tray at the bottom of the desktop. I get the message that the folder cannot be found or something to that effect.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Please insert the flash drive in another port then open "My Computer" from desktop and look for any new drive generally named "Removal Device" if you can see it double click it to open the drive.
Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience: Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Same situation. I get the message "failed to locate support file types or there are no photos found......" The device remains on the tray and it would seem that I am not getting it to the system. I did not get any message "Removal Device".....
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Do you have open "My computer" from desktop??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes....I click MY COMPUTER and then I see the icons for others but nothing about the flash drive.......
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
What are the drives listed there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Since I have the flash drive plugged into the port where the printer had been and it indicates "on" via being lighted. Printer still works in other port which I had tried with the flash drive previously. I do not think my problem is related to the port but rather that I do not know how to get it from the tray to active function on the desk top.
Responding to your last driective:
I click MY COMPUTER-click on icon for LOCAL DISK which is the only one that seems to bring up any info-then click on DRIVERS and listed are: AUDIO, MODEM, NETWORK, printer, SYSTEM VIDEO: Files Infcache 1
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Please try the steps below and let me know.

1.Click on Start-->Run

2.Type devmgmt.msc in the box

3.Press enter

4.Device manager window will open up.

5.Look for any ? or ! sign beside any device and let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am ready to give up. I am obviously not doing something correctly. Is there any possibility that flash drives are specifically for one type of computer? I am wondering if perhaps my friend who purchased this and sent it to me could have bought the wrong kind. HOWEVER, since the "on" light is illuminated and it fit nicely into the port it would seem to be okay. Yes, I did follow your last directions and got to the list of drivers and again did not find any ? or ! next to the listed drivers. Such is life!! I think I need to just thank you for all the help you have given me in attempting to solve this problem. I could not have asked for more other than asking someone to come to my house and do this for me.
Many thanks.