David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience
13852270

I cannot view my recordings on my vcr. I can play content already

Customer Question

I cannot view my recordings on my vcr. I can play content already recorded prior to hooking up the dtv converter box. The vcr will start when programed, it will accually start recording. When I try to play it back, my tv is snow with a "no signal" showing on the screen. Everything seems to be hooked up right. I called Comcast and they helped a little, I got it to start when programmed, but cannot view it. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

First I need some additional information in order to better assist you.

What is the make and model of the VCR?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The make is JVC, the model is Pro-cision 19u head, plug & play. As far as I know, everything is hooked up correctly. I have it programmed into the remote that came with the dtv box, everything is controlled fine with the remote. Just cannot view what has taped. Also made sure the vcr, tv and cable all on channel 3.

Thank you,

Linda

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
So the playback output is plugged in through the dtv box?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I will explain as best I can what is hooked up to what. If you can solve my problem, I will give you a great tip! Wht Cable wire from wall going to Dtv box (Rf in) from dtv bx to (Ant. In) on bk of VCR. (Rf out) from VCR to (UHF/VHF) on back of TV. Then there is a 3 prong cable (yellow, blue, red) plugged into (AV Compu Link) (out) from VCR to (video in) TV. Thank you for your time.

Linda

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

The connection out from the DTV box to the Antenna In on the VCR - how is the connection labelled on the DTV box?

Also, what is the brand (make and model) of the DTV box?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The connection labelled on the dtv box say's (Rf out) The make is Motorolla and the model might be Dch70 (it is on the front of the box) it is from Comcast.

Thank you,

Linda

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Hello - I apologize for the delay (your question appeared in a different list and just found it).

I noticed that you have two video outputs from the VCR plugged into the TV and usually you should have only one. So try unplugging one of the outputs from the VCR starting with the RF out and let me know if it makes a difference when only one is connected.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry it took so long getting back to you, I have a 2 yr old and was away for 2 days. I did try unplugging one of the out puts, still cannot view programmed recoring. Tried unplugging the 3 prong plug and still no view on programmed recording. I can record and play back when I hit record at that moment. But, if I program for later viewing, it will appear to record but nothing shows on tape.

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Ok so based on the fact that it records when the recording starts manually it sounds to me like your cable configuration is correct and that the issue is with either the configuration of the VCR or the VCR itself.

Did scheduled recording work on the VCR prior to moving the cables around?

Also, please provide the exact model number of the VCR. Pro-cision 19u is part of a line of products so the exact model number will help me to find more information to help you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As far as knowing if the vcr recorded prior to the switching of wires, I'm not sure. I only tried to program recording. The model #HR-VP644U
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Ok. So have you programmed the VCR for any channel number mismatches? It could be that it is recording but on the wrong channel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when I program the vcr to record I first set it up with comcast, through the info setting and the record setting, then I program the vcr to the time & channel to record. What do you mean by "channel number mismatches?"
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Local broadcast stations may have a different channel number on cable then via broadcast. Try the following:

Select the MAIN MENU screen, then select CUSTOM SET then select VCR PLUS+ SET-UP then GUIDE CHANNEL SET then INPUT GUIDE CHANNEL NUMBER - This is where you program the channel number that is shown in the TV listing. Then INPUT RECEIVING CHANNEL NUMBER - This is where you program the broadcast channel number. Then press Menu to RETURN TO VCR PLUS+ SET-UP SCREEN.

Do this for each channel that you want to record that has a different broadcast number than cable number.