Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance
15197395

How to I re-enable my wireless lan which I accidentally disabled,

How to I re-enable my wireless lan which I accidentally disabled, HP Pavilio dv5000
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.

There must be switch above the keyboard or somewhere else with this symbol Press it once to enable the wifi.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
already tried pushing that button, it does not enable it, a message just pops up saying wireless lan disabled
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Then there must be a symbol like the image below will be there near the clock at the right bottom of the screen right click on that symbol and select "Turn All Devices On " or "Turn WLAN On" and let me know.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the icon is there, same image as the button however there is no option to turn anything on or off, when you right click it just opens up the wireless assistant. If there was any such option to turn it off or on I would have figured that out. The reason I need help is for whatever reason it is not simple to re-enable. When I disabled it I was trying to connect to a wireless network and I just clicked on the button saying disable, I though that would just disconnect from the wireless network, not disable the wireless lan itself so it's my fault but who knew you could not just enable it again? sorry this is a royal pain
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Ok
Try the steps below and let me know.

1.Click on Start Button Then Select Run.

2.Type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

3.Device manager window will open.

4.Search for "Network Adaptors".

5.Under it you may see a device with a red cross sign,.

6.Right click on that device with the red cross and select Enable from the menu.

7.It may ask you to restart the Pc,restart it and let me know the results.

See the image below it will help you.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
both adapters listed to be enabled in the device manager, there are no red crosses and when you right click on either one the option to disable appears but not enable. I think it is disabled through the wireless assistant because I didn't go into device manager to disable it. I was in the process of trying to connect to a wireless network which was acquiring the address and not connecting so there was a button on there that said disable which I clicked on.
The two adapters listed are
Broadcom 802.1lb/gWLAN
Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Please open the Hp Wireless Assistent and check the button under Action if it is set to Turn On Click it and check.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the wireless assistant only shows the status box which says Disabled, there is no action option showing or a column for it.

Down on the bottom left there are 3 buttons, properties, help & close and on the right there is a button called set up, when you click on that you get a message saying: "Your WLAN is turned off or disabled. Follow the instructions in Wireless Assistant to turn on or enable WLAN before cotinuing"

I do not see where to access any instructions and at the bottom on the assistant it also says "for assistance in setting up a wireless home network, click the Setup button to launch the HP Network assistant? but as I said you just get that message when you click on set up.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Please try to right click not left click on the Wireless assistent icon beside the clock and let me know the options that you can see....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that is what is weird, I did right click and the only thing that you get is the option to open up the wireless assistant. I dont have my mouse conncted so I am using the keypad with the right and left buttons. I thought there should be an option to enable when you right click. usually you get more options when right clicking but I am not seeing that
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.

You can restore it by your self by follwing the steps:-

Click-->Start Button-->Programmes-->Accesories-->System tools-->System Restore after selecting it a window will be open click next and then select a date from the calender in or before which it was fine after that click next and follow the instruction the pc will restart once and check the problem is gone or not and let me know.
Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience: Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe it is working again, but it started when I pressed the wireless button, which I had tried several times with no luck previously, so random. Thanks very much for all your time. I'll be sure to click on the right buttons for you to get paid
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Great to hear that.........Smile